RO/DI Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We normally buy our water at Walmart but lately they aren't stocking it regularly so I think we are going to break down and buy an RODI unit.

Does anyone know if the one sold at Costco is sufficient for use with SW Aquariums?

Costco - Watts Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System

We are very concerned about waste water as our water bill is already very high. If we put this in our laundry room, is there a way we direct the waste water to our laundry washing machine?

DJ

If we put this in our laundry room, is there a way we direct the waste water to our laundry washing machine?

DJ

Very much so. People do it all the time. I run mine out to the flower garden. Many uses out there for it. If I could suggest something. If you make it in jugs make sure you put the jug in a rubbermaid tote just in case you forget to be there when it`s full.

When you say you "run" yours out to the flower garden, how do you do that? Like I'm wondering if there is a way to directly feed this (via hose) into the washing machine or do I need to put the waste water into jugs and then manually pour these jugs of waste water into the machine when we are filling it up?

R/O Waste Line

That's exactly what I did. On my 7-Stage R/O, the waste water goes to the drain on the washing machine. When we installed our system we didn't see any increase in our home water bill.

I've got my old four stage unit if you are intersted. It's rated for 35 GPD which would be fine for your tank.

I bought mine from costco a few years ago. I have since added a DI to the system and upgraded from 35 to 50 gallons a day. I would recommend getting a RO DI system from the start.

i have one that is 75 gallons a day.. the water is made so quickly you only throw out about half of the water made.. if you make 75 gallons.. you may throw out about 80 or so... at least on my system

Mine is in my tool shed and I run PVC pipe to the flower garden. I just insert the waste water hose into the PVC and it gravity feeds to the flower garden.

Back
Top Bottom