RO/DI reef only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
There's an RO/DI for sale. It's a 100gpd 5stage for less than $100. It says for reef. Can I use it for freshwater? Thanks.

RO/DI takes out all the minerals an makes the water softer. I read that I need to add minerals if I want to use it for freshwater? Is that right? Isn't that going to make the water hard again? Need help here. I need to learn more about RO/DI before I buy them. Anyone?

The 5 micron coconut carbon block filter removes chlorine, chloramine and other stuff. Does it mean that I won't have to use PRIME? Or is it advisable to still use it?

You will not have have to use prime anymore. Water will be perfect. If used for freshwater, you will have to add back minerals. But for saltwater, the salt will add back nutrients.

What I mean by add back minerals, you will have to add back the minerals striped out. But the water will be just h2o.

Bige said:
What I mean by add back minerals, you will have to add back the minerals striped out. But the water will be just h2o.

How do you add the minerals back? I dose for my plants. Are those enough? Or is there a specific "mineral" when using RO/DI? Thanks.

No, that is not enough. I think it is called ro right. It replaces what is removed. But if you have specific fish there is specific minerals for the fish. What do you have and I will see if I can find it.

Bige said:
No, that is not enough. I think it is called ro right. It replaces what is removed. But if you have specific fish there is specific minerals for the fish. What do you have and I will see if I can find it.

I am actually buying a RO/DI so I can keep discus and cardinal tetras.

I believe there is a discus additive. If you dont use it, you will have ph problems.
Aquarium Water Conditioners for RO Water: Kent R/O Right Water Conditioner

Freshwater Aquarium Water Conditioners for RO Water: Seachem Equilibrium RO Water Conditioner

If you are going for discus, I would post a thread for discus Ro additives. There is a guy here that specializes in them and maybe he can be more helpful. I think both of these I listed would be great but there may be something better. Good luck. I kept discus for years and they are my favorite fw fish. Becareful buying wild caught. They can be very hard to keep. They have specific Gh and can lead to problems. Check out Jack whatley. When I used to buy he had captive bread. And high quality. This may be out dated.

Are these RO right also called buffer? I saw a seachem discus buffer powder earlier today at my LFS. Thank you for the big help. I will now order the RO/DI system. You're the only one that replied to to this thread. Thanks again.

I know they are similar. The buffers keep the ph in check. If you use the ro right type products, they replenish what is taken from rodi process. Discus require very clean water. I would try to pm discuslover. I think that is who I am thinking of. He lives in india or something like that and has great success. I have been out of fw for awhile and would hate to send you the wrong info. I will check for you tomorrow, but i love discus and I want this to go right for you.

I will try to contact him.

The linked that you gave me are for discus. I going to research those stuff. One more question.. I have a fluval fx5 n my 125g. Is it going to be too much current for the discus? Thanks.

Tap water is fine for FW unless you have ammonia in it. Don't waste money/water on it.

uscamaro said:
Tap water is fine for FW unless you have ammonia in it. Don't waste money/water on it.

I need to soften my water and lower the ph to be able to get discus though.. My ph plays around 7.2-7.6. I just bought the kh/gh test. I haven't tested the water yet but I know it's hard because of where I live.

Discus need ro/di. The fluval should be fine. If flow seems to strong you can change output to a spray bar ot even split flow. But you probably wont need that. 125 is pretty big so you should be fine.

Bige said:
Discus need ro/di. The fluval should be fine. If flow seems to strong you can change output to a spray bar ot even split flow. But you probably wont need that. 125 is pretty big so you should be fine.

Got it. Thanks a lot! :D

Back
Top Bottom