ro/di + salt question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kungpaoshizi

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got a ro/di unit finally...
But I'm wondering if the storing it after mixing salt is completely necessary?
I understand it doesn't mix well and/or has low O2 content, but if you mix the stuff in a 5gal bucket, then pour it back and forth 5-10 times to another 5 gal bucket, would that serve enough for agitation/mixing that storing it in a larger container isn't necessary?

Thanks for any comments/advice :)
<I'm a newb... heh

I don't understand your question, If you mean letting your SW mix stand for 24 hours the answer is that 5-10 mins is not enough to let the mixture desolve. You should mix your salt and use a pump to stir it as well as a heater to let the water come up to the temp. of your tank.

Wait what? Maybe i don't understand your post correctly, but i'll answer the question as best i can.

You can pour the water back and forth a hundred times, and it still wouldn't serve any purpose.. In order to store the water without it becoming stagnant you need to have circulation via air pump or powerhead. Unless you have the machinery to vacuum seal the container with the water in it..

To be able to use the mixed saltwater in your tank, you need to let it sit circulating for no less than 24 hours. This will ensure that all of the salt has disintegrated into the water. Salt is caustic and will burn the gills of fish, so you don't want to take any chances in pouring newly mixed saltwater in to your tank.

I keep my saltwater stored in a 10 gallon bucket with a powerhead running 24/7 to keep it stored. This ensures that the water won't become stagnant and i can use it whenever i need to. Also with the proper cover so nothing gets in the water and contaminates it.

**EDIT
Yeah thincat, i didn't understand the question much either but i think he meant if keeping it stored with circulation is necessary.

No I'm not asking for storage, but I don't get it, I mean, if it dissolves, and you can't see any floating particles, wouldn't that mean it's mixed?

Am I just being a moron and need to brush up on my chemistry interactions between solubles and ro/di water? hehe

24hrs is just a safety thing. You can use it sooner at your own risk. The water may look clear but we are talking about micro particles and thoughs take longer to disolve.

Ahh yes, I see that now... Found this little tidbit, should have just stopped to think about it for a moment! The answer was in the name... ha!
Deionized water, however, is inherently acidic and contaminants such as copper, dust, stainless and carbon steel and many other common materials rapidly supply ions thus re-ionizing deionized water. The very lack of ions make deionized water unusually corrosive and one of the most aggressive solvents known.

So unless I want to clean my fish really well huh ;)

You add the RO part to that and you have good water for your tank. The RO part will get what the deionized doesnt.

Back
Top Bottom