RO/DI System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you think an RO/DI unit is necessary for a saltwater reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My husband thinks I may be going overboard with my tanks, but from what I've read, an RO/DI unit is necessary. Opinions from the experts?

For what they cost now IMO you should not be without one.
Your tap water may be fine but IMO I would not trust it.
Lets see... Tank depending on size 300-500, skimmer 100+, lights 200++ depending on type size, LR $8 a pound in some places, LS... Fish some $4 some $40++
RO/DI can be bought for $100+ depending on GPD.
Its a no brainer if you ask me.
I know people who used tap and were sorry they did... Months of fighting algae and then buying a ro/di and doing water changes for months till they got the water quality to stop algae growth.

A RO/DI uniti is not needed for a SW reef tank, however, using good quality RO/DI water is a must. Whether you produce it at home or get it from the store is not as important as just making sure you are using it. A unit at home is so much less work though.

I have good clean well water with no bad stuff but I still run it through a RO filter for good measure. Sell him on clean drinking water or filtered water for coolant in the car. I am a male we are stupid and fall for stuff like that.

You guys are FABULOUS! Thanks for the opinions. He doesn't care whay I buy, just thinks I may get sold on things too easily. I'm doing my homework.

Brenden said:
Sell him on clean drinking water or filtered water for coolant in the car. I am a male we are stupid and fall for stuff like that.

My husband said "thanks alot! Good idea!" Now we're ordering one!

Actually don't encourage him to drink the water if its RO/DI. Deionized water is not good for your body. Just plain RO water would be perfectly fine to drink.

Back
Top Bottom