RO/DI system to slow. Any Suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njphin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a 4 stage RO/DI system that is rated at 75 gpd but it is only giving me 1 gallon an hour if that. Any suggestions on how I can get this closer to the 75 gpd rating. I have it hooked to the outside faucet. Thanks

A lot has to due with house water pressure and you may need a booster pump to get max output.

Ok thanks. I thought there was an easier less expensive way. I'll just deal with it. Once I finally fill up my 80 gallon tank, the speed won't matter any more.

RODI systems are rated at 50+ degrees and 65 psi water pressure.
I have a 45 gallon top off tank and my pwc is 20 - 25 gallons.
I bought a booster pump. Money well spent IMO.

If you don't already have one, check any RODI vendor and they'll have in-line pressure guages that you can add in for pretty cheap. Basically, you just cut the source water line, and the guage comes with 2 quick fittings. This way you can check your water pressure, and then determine if you really need a booster pump.

I have the same issue. 100gpd RODI filter, I can only produce about 1/3 of what it's rated for because my water pressure is only 30psi.

I connected my RO/DI filter to my laundry water line and its going faster now. I guess the laundry water line has better pressure then I have on my outside line.

The others have answered but I wanted to chime in with this tid bit. For your RO/DI to really do it's job you need at least 50psi. The whole idea behind it is to push the water through the RO membrane and to do that you need water pressure. Less than 50psi and you aren't getting the benefit of the water making it through the membrane.

Also, temp is a big factor. (And it's easier to change than pressure). I think someone found some heating thing? that they wrapped around their input line and it helped. I'll have to look for the thread. Or you could get a bucket of hot water, extend your input line, and coil the line in the bucket of hot water. That would raise the temp of the incoming water. (Albeit that way is kinda... work intensive :p)

i buy my ro water at wal mart its allot quicker and its 35 cents a gallon

I disagree with ziggy. I have a 75 gpd unit with a pressure gauge and a dual tds meter. My water pressure is normally around 30 psi and it still produces 0 tds. It just takes longer to make water.

Yes, low pressure or low temps will cause you to wast much more water. There is a minimum pressure for every membrane below which no water will pass.

For heating water in the winter I use a 25' coil in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater in the bucket. It's a hot water jacket for the tubing to raise the temp a bit before it goes to the filter.

I disagree with ziggy. I have a 75 gpd unit with a pressure gauge and a dual tds meter. My water pressure is normally around 30 psi and it still produces 0 tds. It just takes longer to make water.
Aren't you saying the same thing as Ziggy? your RO/DI unit is working, but not up to it's full capacity. A Rose by anyother name is still a rose..;)

ummm, probably a dumb question but why can't you mix in hot water from the hot water tank? Metals? But since it's going through the RO/DI system everything will be taken out. Maybe just have to replace the filter more often. Winter only...it would be easier to heat water in the summer/fall months.

Back
Top Bottom