RO/DI, testing equipment questions and recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvbender1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, noobie here, I'm about to start planning for a 75 gallon tank, and I'm trying to do everything right, regardless of cost to ensure the health of my future fish/invetebrates, I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a RO/DI unit? Also is there a huge different between a 3 and 4 stage unit? What are the advantages of a RO/DI unit over the tap water filters that I see advertised on liveaquaria. Also I am probably going to invest in a refractometer and electric PH monitor, anyone have any good recommendations for these products as well? Lastly what type of test kits have been shown to be accurate for ammonia, nitrite. nitrate, hardness, calcium testing? I know its a lot of questions, but I really could use the advice, thanks

As for the ro/di I would go with the 4 stage better filtration., also pick up a TDS meter.

For the test kits, IMO go with Saliferts tests except for the ammonia just go to your local pet store and pick up the AP test kit.

As for the refractometer get it from Live Aquaria you should be able to pick one up for about 45.00. As for the PH meter I just use a test kit for mine.

I know someone with more experence than what I have will be on and will give you more input on this.

SassyAngel111 said:
As for the ro/di I would go with the 4 stage better filtration., also pick up a TDS meter.

For the test kits, IMO go with Saliferts tests except for the ammonia just go to your local pet store and pick up the AP test kit.

As for the refractometer get it from Live Aquaria you should be able to pick one up for about 45.00. As for the PH meter I just use a test kit for mine.

I know someone with more experence than what I have will be on and will give you more input on this.

Sounds like great advice to me!

I also think Salifert sets the standards when it comes to test kits. However, for basic tests like ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and even hardness, I've found the API test to be a great value. Plus you can get them just about anywhere. The API Calcium test is OK too, but if you want a good accurate number, then I'd recommend the Salifert. I have both and use the Salifert to double check my API test once in a while when it seems a little off.

Just about any of the refractometers you'll find out there in the $40-60 range will do just fine.

Regarding RO/DI versus the Tap Water filters, the only difference is that those tap water filters are just a single DI stage versus the combined RO/DI. For most "normal" tap water, you'll get just about as pure of water with a tap water filter, but you'll just burn through them quicker and spend more money on replacement cartridges. The RO membrane in an RO/DI unit does the majority of the work, filtering out 90-95% of the bad stuff. The DI stage then just "polishes" the water to make it pure. With a tap water filter, that DI stage is doing ALL the work and the resin that's in there will be used up pretty quick.

I agree with both kurt and SassyAngel. I use the API test kit is for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. I also use salifert for the other tests. I also bought my refractometer from Kive Aquaria for about $45.

Premium Aquatics also sells a $40 Refractometer. I have been using it for a few years now. If you are doing a reef, I would do a nice RO/DI unit. Good prefilters are essential as well to the membrane and DI. The membrane will get your TDS down for the most part but in a reef tank, 0 TDS is what you want. Also get a decent TDS meter. The little inline that is $24 is decent but does not compensate for temperature. I have seen a 20-30 TDS difference from my dual inline and the Hannah TDS1 I also use.

Back
Top Bottom