RO+DI Unit and water temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking at aquasafe's 100gpd unit, and reading about the water temperature effecting efficency.

they claim:
TFC membranes are rated at 77 degrees Fahrenheit and for every 1 degree drop, the production drops 1.4%.

according to my thermometer, my cold tap water temp right now is 46°F

so, 77-46= 31 ... 31 * 1.4 = 43.4%

43% lost in product efficiency due to the water being cold.

Any ideas how to avoid this? having the unit reject water because it's dirty is one thing, but wasting water because it's cold is too enviromentally irresponsible, even for me ;)

ok, that sounds logical.

I was looking at a faucet pass-through adapter that would allow me to dial in the correct temp on the sink and then engage the unit.

my only concern was if the water temp were to get too high, is there risk that the membrane or carbon filters may get damaged? what is the threshold for something like that?

my only concern was if the water temp were to get too high, is there risk that the membrane or carbon filters may get damaged? what is the threshold for something like that?

Yes. Hot water will destroy the membrane. Now how hot, I am not sure. But I would think you would want to keep the water temperature coming out of the faucet under 90 degrees F.

But I would think you would want to keep the water temperature coming out of the faucet under 90 degrees F.

Cool. I was not sure what the max safe temp was for membranes.

Cool. I was not sure what the max safe temp was for membranes.

This is a best guest, Aaron. I figure that during the summer time, the cold water pipe might get into the 80's easily. Especially here in FL. So as long as you stay under 90F I would think you would be safe. If I were going to try and "throttle" the temperature going into the RO/DI, I would shoot for ~80F.

Back
Top Bottom