RO/DI Units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my ro/di on ebay as well and have it strapped to the top on a trash can with the excess water being dumped out of my a/c water dump pipe. The only thing is that since i keep the water in there i run a power head and an air-stone for circulation. Here is a pic so u can see what i mean.

Attachments

• photo (19).jpg
    photo (19).jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 76
My tank has a sump and it also has a 15 gal reservoir with an auto top off. I wish i could put my ro/di directly on there but there is no water outlet by my tank so when i need to top off that i just disconnect from the water and wheel the trashcan over.

i think patrick meant "pump", not sump...right?
i have a similar setup, but my can is close enough to use 10' of hose and a strong pump to bring it to the tank.

You're right Doug, reading and saying pump/sump I got a little dyslexic.

I was wondering how far they were from each other to see how strong of a pump you used

I just unscrew the kitchen aerator and screw in a facet to garden hose adapter that my RODI unit connects to. Takes about 2 -3 minutes if that.
I have a 25' and a 50' outlet hose to reach from the kitchen to either my top off tank, or my pwc tank. No I don't need 50', I'm just too lazy to cut it.

Those instructions are for most RODI units. Not all units come with the all the parts mentioned. so check to make sure the saddle tap is included, or how much extra it costs.

RODI units produce different amounts of water depending on the RO membrane. I have the 150GPD (gallons per day) membrane in my Typhoon III. I replaced the original membrane last year after 5 years of service.

Most RODI units will waste about 4x the amount of water produced. It all depends on how efficient the RO membrane is, the pressure of the tap water and the temperature.

RODI units produce best with water over 50 degrees and about 60 - 70 psi.

I have a booster pump to bring my 45psi tap up to 70psi for my RODI unit and it now produces water at the rated 150 gallons per day (6.25 gallon per hour).

You need to check on the RO membrane efficiency too. The 75 and 150 are in the 98% range and the 100 is about 92% (from memory).

How can you find out what your PSI rate is?

How can you find out what your PSI rate is?

I just JUST trying to figure this out. It looks like the cheapest/easiest method is to buy a $10 pressure gauge that can be purchased from Lowes or Home depot (any hardware store basically) which will attach to a hose or faucet. Then you simply turn on your water and check pressure.

What do you guys think of the SpectraPure RO/DI systems? I have the opportunity to buy the unit attached that is used and 4 years old with (2) 20g tanks for $75. I'm guessing it will need filters? Maybe a membrane?

Should I buy a TDS meter to see how well it's working?

Attachments

• ro-unit.jpg
    ro-unit.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 45
you definitely should buy a TDS meter. everyone should have one. how else will you know when it's time to change the filters?
that said, R.O.D.I units are nothing more than empty cannisters with filters in them. it's the extra doodads that set them apart. warranties aren't really that important since there are no moving parts.

My Typhoon II unit came with a built in psi Gage and a handheld tds meter. The newer models also have a built in tds meter. You MUST have a tds meter to know when to change the DI resin.

Back
Top Bottom