RO unit, is it good for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
Aquarium Water Quality: Pure-Flo II RO Units

Is this a good RO unit for me? The guy at my marine store highly recommended I get an RO unit because of my phosphate problems. Will this one take the phosphates out? I really don't have alot of money to work with at the moment, so if this will work for me this would be great. I'm also very new to RO units so I really don't know much about them.

What do you have to change out? Are there any costly filters to change in it?

Steve

Wait so the one I have a link of up on my post isn't an RO-Di unit? What does the DI mean? Does that mean the one I have a link of up won't take phosphates out?

Steve

RO is reverse osmosis. De-ionization is a seperate stage that is optional, runs last after the RO process is completed. De-ionization is the process of removing mineral ions. Deionization is a physical process which uses specially-manufactured ion exchange resins which bind to and filter out the mineral salts from water. It's highly recommended to really get pure, clean water for your SW tank.

Like Mike stated, you can get cheaper units on Ebay that include the DI stage. I'd look there first.

Last edited:
Now what's all involved with changing out parts and filters? Is it costly? how many filters and things are there? Btw I appreciate your help!

Steve

That one looks like it has 3 prefilters that need changing every 6 months and the two resin chambers for the DI part that need changing about 6-12 months and a RO membrane that needs changing 1-2 yrs. A TDS meter will let you know exactly when to change on the membrane.

Back
Top Bottom