RO Unit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a GE 3 stage RO unit. I did not do enough research when I got this RO unit and learned the hard way that not all RO units are created equal. It produces about 2 gal of water every 4-6 hours (it's basically for a small household for drinking, but is very pure and good enough for SW fish). This is also enough (minimum) for my needs as I only have a 55gal FOWLR and a 10G FOWLR and a 55G Cichlid tank (RO only for top off on this one). I basically store RO water in multiple 7 and 6 gallon jugs, so WCs are no issue. I was interested in getting a BRS 4 stage RO Unit (50-75GPD). My question is maintenance... What are the maintanance needs for the filters with Carbon and any others, how expensive is it to replace and how often? With my GE, it uses two 5 Micron prefilters and 1 RO membrane. It is recommended that I swap the two Micron prefilters every 6 months (I did this after 9 months) and the RO membrane after 1 year (I do this when water quality begins to be compromised.). The problem here is the 2 prefilters come in a pack of two and costs $45 and the RO membrane costs $55. So when the time comes when I have to replace both, it's a whopping $100! I was curious if the BRS RO units are similarly expensive. Has anyone had any exp with this? Any info would be great. Mostly looking for what to replace (Carbon filters, RO membranes, micron filters... How often for each, and how much $$$$). Thanks

Back
Top Bottom