RO unit Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I just moved into a new house and Im going to be installing a shallow well with a friend for the sprinkler system so that my water bills wont be outragous and I figured that if I could hook up a RO unit to the well I would save even more(spend more at the LFS). I live in coastal N.C. and even my faucet water has that beachy taste to it. Does anyone know of any potential problems that I may run into if I tried to hoop up an RO filter to the well? My early concerns are:

1. not enough water pressure, and
2. would the well water cause my RO unit to wear out faster???

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

RO units need a certain water pressure to run at there rated outputs, so water pressure will effect it

the more the filters in your RO system have to remove the quicker they will be exhausted and have to be replaced, so the amount of contaminates in your water will effect the life span of the filters

was that what you were asking or were you asking how to eliminate these problems?

I believe most RO and RO/DI units operate optimally at around 65psi. Most well systems won't produce this pressure continuously. You'll likely have a pressure tank in the mix, where a pressure switch activates the well pump when pressure in the tank drops below a pre-set level. Perhaps you can set the trigger point a bit higher to help. Booster pumps are available to up the pressure, although the ones I've looked at are a bit expensive. The trade off may be $ for a booster pump v. no booster pump, less than optimum RO unit performance, more waste water and slightly shorter filter life.

It's tough to answer the filter life question without water test results to compare for both your municipal and well water. I believe heavy metals would be your worst enemy and you'd think the chances are greater that they would show in your ground water. Then again, I've seen municipal water test results that are scary compared to local ground water. Your municipality should have test results available for you. You're on your own to test your ground water. With a breakeven point for the well installation likely to be years in the future, I would view RO issues as relatively minor. Waster water can go to the garden and if your filters need replacement every 9 months instead of 12, well, that will be one of your lesser expenses of home ownership. HTH somewhat. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom