Rock weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yilduz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I have a really big rock that I want to put into my 55 gallon tank, but it's really heavy. I was wondering if you guys recommended a weight limit on rocks. This one is really nice, but I don't want to break anything just to get it in there.

How heavy is it? If you go by pounds x gallons it should be ok, as long as you'er not talking about a big 50 lb. Rock going in a ten gallon tank! Lol

How big is big? What you need to make sure of is that you can evenly distribute the weight. If we're talking a 20-30+lb rock, make sure it has a nice flat spot that it can sit on a little glass with. If it's not possible to sit it on a flat edge, egg crate on the bottom might help with that. I normally don't recommend eggcrate for lots of smaller rock, since it's unnecessary IMO... but for larger rocks, then it can be of value.

How big is big? What you need to make sure of is that you can evenly distribute the weight. If we're talking a 20-30+lb rock, make sure it has a nice flat spot that it can sit on a little glass with. If it's not possible to sit it on a flat edge, egg crate on the bottom might help with that. I normally don't recommend eggcrate for lots of smaller rock, since it's unnecessary IMO... but for larger rocks, then it can be of value.

That might be perfect, because I actually just bought some for the backdrop on a 29 gallon (I saw a thread in this forum about someone using it as a way to hold Great Stuff up in place - I'm going to give it a try), and I'm going to have more than I'll need.

I'll weigh the rock because I actually have no idea what it weighs, but I'll be sure to try to distribute the weight as much as possible.

So, I just weighed the rock and it's 44 pounds. Picking it up again, feeling its weight, realizing its size, the depth and height of the tank and the fact that it's already full of water, has really made me decide against putting it in. If I did intend to put it in, and if it wasn't already full and set up, would you guys recommend against it, even with the egg crate? I ask because I have a couple more empty tanks that I intend to use in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom