RODI float switch & excess water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bvd7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Kent Marine Maxxima RODI system. I use it in my utility room and fill up 5 gallon buckets at a time. I do this in my laundry tub so any overflow goes down the drain. It is working properly, but I have two questions:

1. I keep forgetting about it and the bucket overflows down the drain and I end up wasting a lot of water. Can anyone explain to me how to setup a float switch so when I go to the LFS I know what to buy?

2. There seems to be a lot of waste water coming out of the orange tube (after the membrane) that goes down the drain. Anyone have any suggestions about what to do with it other then water the plants?

I don't know much about the RO/DI units yet but I am thinking that is about all the waste water is good for to water the plants with. When I get mine that is exactly what I will be doing with my waste water because I have a ton of plants out on the patio.

here are a whole bunch of them-
float switch | Marine Depot
you would drill a hole in the bucket and mount it towards the top, then attach the R.O. output tube. when the water comes up to the top it will lift the float, and shut off the water.
i don't know how else to explain it.

many folks buy 100gpd R.O.D.I. units because they think more is better, but the truth is, you will have considerably more waste water using a 100gpd unit, rather than a 75 or 50 gpd unit. they larger ones just waste more water to get less return.

i have heard of people putting it in their washing machines, and watering plants. what else would you need large amounts of water for? fill your swimming pool?

I understand how the float switch works, but do you know the specifics of how to hook it up to the RO/DI unit. If I put it on the end of the "good" water tube how does the float switch shut off the water to the entire unit?

I guess I could fill my hot tub with the additional water. :)

Back
Top Bottom