Routine water change, not so much !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my normal routine water change turned out to be five hours long today when i decided to replace my bulbs in my power compact fixture. For starter some how i crack the plastic covering that covers up the lights. Since I dont cover my tank, and salt seems to somehow get all over my fixture i decided it would prob be a very bad idea to leave the fixture open. I ran to lowes and picked up a sheet of plexi glass, had to cut it, however it did all work out and I have that piece replaced now. So then I decided to take out the bulbs, low and behold I bust two of the eight rubberbands that keep the bulbs in place. I set the fixture up, the bulbs are in place and it doesnt look as if they are going to fall out. Do I need to replace these rubberbands or will I be ok. If I need to replace them will just a regular rubberband do?

What brand of fixture do you have? I've called Coralife before and they've sent me free bands; however, you can purchase bands for relatively little online or in a lfs. Call a few lfs to see what they have in stock :)

I have a coralife fixture. Those are exactly the bands that I do need but I just cant see a reason to place an order for just that, and I just recieved a big order from an online dealer the otherday. I will check the lfs in a day or two, should I be ok without them for a while? If the lights are still in place without them - will they stay in place?

They should stay in place as long as the clips are secure and snap in place until you can find replacement bands.

Plexiglass tends to discolor and become brittle over time. I'm not sure if that is the exact material that came on the fixture. Normally Lexan is a better choice b/c it does not do this. This is coming from an automotive background so not sure how it applies to aquariums. Except that I have read that plexiglass is normally a bad choice for a hood/cover because of what I mentioned and it can sag with weight.

Last edited:
I have a coralife fixture. Those are exactly the bands that I do need but I just cant see a reason to place an order for just that, and I just recieved a big order from an online dealer the otherday. I will check the lfs in a day or two, should I be ok without them for a while? If the lights are still in place without them - will they stay in place?

No worries... I have a coralife fixture with the same rubber bands. Ran it 6 months between bulb changes without them once as they ALL broke when I was replacing bulbs. The next time I bought replacement bulbs, I just bought new bands (+ extras!) too. The clips will hold just fine - but it IS nice to have that extra piece of mind.

When I got my lighting fixture, one of them was broke. I haven't replaced it in a year and it is still attached. I even bought the rubber bands from drsfosterandsmith.com, part number 53050.

I did the same as Kurt. I now have a few packets in stock for when I do a change. Every time I order bulbs I order another kit just in case. You can probably run fine without it, but I agree on the extra insurance. Coralife wouldn't use them if they didn't think there was a possibility of needing them.
These are HIGH HEAT retaining bands. Rubberbands won't last more than a few hours, if teh even last that long.

Back
Top Bottom