Rubbermaid or Sterlite Trash Can Containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it okay to use either the RubberMaid or Sterlite containers 30+ gals(trashcans with or without wheels) that you can get at Walmart to store Saltwater in for waterchanges? Or do you need special containers to store Saltwater in between water changes?

Like this one?

Also how long can you store the Saltwater for as well?

I cant see the picture but rubbermaid totes are fine. They can even be used as sumps for Sw tanks.

For mixing SW I would use the Rubbermaid BRUTE series. No chance of breakage. They make them in 20, 32, and 44 gallon sizes, you can get them at Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, but I don't know if Wal-Mart carries them.

as long as u dont use no chemicals on it before or during use (soap). You have to make sure it will hold up.

No chemicals will be used in them. I was told by the LFS that I was not to use those because they are chemicaly treated so I was at a confused state and needed other opinions. Also when I get it home from the store all I need to do is rinse it out with hot water and NO Soap correct?

Mary

I have right now a rubbermaid tute holding my extra LR that I picked up with sw in it awaiting for the new tank arrival hope to have at the end of the month or the first part of Jan. if it takes that long I can move the LR into the tank that I have now but it will be very crowded if I do that. It is only a 55g. and I am already running out of room for I have been slowy adding small pieces of different types of Coral.

Thanks guys.

I just went to Home Depot I thought they had the Rubbermaid (Brute) trash can with wheels on them and could not find any nor on their website the only ones I could find with wheels already on them was the ones called RoughNeck by Rubbermaid can those be used to hold the saltwater to the water changes?

I could not find a brute series with wheels 30-42 gal not even on their website. I did see one of those things that you can put under the can that has wheels but that is another $30+. I will look again.

any of those containers in walmart/home depot/lowes are fine. that's not true that they are treated with chemicals. why would they do such a thing? they are made for trash.

The cheaper plastics should be thorougly cleaned. I would not store salt water in those either. However all BRUTE containers are food grade and after a rinse to remove the dust, etc. I would be confortable using those with no worries of leaching.

Walmart does not carry the Brute series only the Roughneck series. I looked inside the ones at walmart and they are kind of shinny inside almost kind of greasey looking so back to Home Depot it is. Will just have to do without the wheels.

Back
Top Bottom