Run Powerheads Off Glass Top?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawfishjunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a crazy idea last night. With magnetic pumps like Koralia---it would be possible to attach small powerheads off the top glass, or even the support bracket.

The cords could be attached to the inside or outside of the support bracket. On the outside they would be exposed to the lighting. Could those cords withstand the heat?

It seems like it could be a viable way to get maximum flow to trouble spots.

Also--the smaller heads would mostly hidden by the tank molding.

OK--rip this one apart. I`m obviously not a tech-guy :)

thanks for all info...........

No, that won't work. Besides the fact a sw tank should not have a glass lid covering it, the water would have to be virtually touching the glass. These pumps must be a few inches underwater or they will pull air and spray tons of microbubbles.

No, that won't work. Besides the fact a sw tank should not have a glass lid covering it, the water would have to be virtually touching the glass. These pumps must be a few inches underwater or they will pull air and spray tons of microbubbles.

--errr, of course I was just testing you, heh heh :eggface:

Why shouldnt there be a glass top on a SW?

info much appreciated...............

It also traps heat. If you have the tank that full you'll never be able to put your hands in the tank without it spilling over...Another possible issue, evaporation leading to ccCapt's point and possibly burning out the motor if not completely submerged. I would think this method would stir up a lot of sand. Those glass tops are kinda thin and if you are not careful, sticking the ph to the magnet might also crack the glass.
Just throwing out some thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom