Running two external canisters inline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0com

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all is it possible to run two fluval 306 in-line?

As follows

In take > fluval306 > fluval306 > Outlet

As I've taken my 125l tank offline and sticking to my 240l tank now.

Just wanted to have two running and keep rear hoses to a minimum which running more media on the filter.

I've got a spare 306 sitting here that's now just been unplugged this morning.

I have the following fish in 240l

1 plec 8"
10 neon tetras
4 salicin Molly
4 swordtails
3 albino Cory
1 unknown sucker fish
3 red tailed sharks
Around 30 adult guppies. And don't know how many fry in breeding tank.

This is why I'm looking on adding the second 306 in loop to tank as its a Roma 240 with pipe work already in place.

Current tetra 6in1 tests show

No3 10mg/l
No2 1mg/l
Gh 0
Kh 0
Ph 6.8
Cl2 0

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Hi there ,
This is just my opinion even though it sounds a good idea, The only problems that I can see if one of the filters start to clog up The second one will lose performance to, and if it's the first one that clogs The second one will be pushing out the water faster then it can fill from the first which may cause damage to the pump,
The best way to get Peak performance out of your filters is to run them separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking at getting y connection between the hose and pump now you mentioned the issue I seen after posting it

So outlet/outlet split using y connector then then it should be fail safe if one goes offline the other allows me to seek replacement also allows me to be able to take it offline to clean it out.

Hi there
i'm sort of understanding what you're saying by connecting the Y-connection from the both outlets I would imagine it would reduce the performance of your filters because of the two flows are being condensed down into one which will reduce the flow coming out of both filters,to some degree. and may cause problems with the pumps in long-term because they're pushing against more pressure .
So basically will work but not as good as running them separately. But also that possibility of wearing out the pumps quicker in the filters, as time will tell with that and can't guarantee that would happen.

It might cause a little issue by should allow me to use one filter for polishing the water and other for biological so one will have less pressure coming out

Only in trial stage at the min. As still not decided to do it.

Just no info on cutting the tank. Also there is no option on the Roma to add one more filter on the left. As no pre-drilled holes but they sell the whole kit.

I would just give it a go but just keep your eye things and if it don't work just use it The regular why. Or if money is not an issue you could always sell those two on and get yourself a bigger external something like a fx6 would do a good job.

Hi everyone,

I've run a separate test run of following config.

Outlet to y splitter to two fluval 306's
Inlet to y splitter to two fluval 306's

Only issue was with a leak on return due to a test I was using the 20mm hose between splitter and the outlet inlet on roma 240 which was a drip every 4 mins splitter was snug against hose but did not want to over tighten the clip as hose does not do well with letting you know if over tightened. Didn't want to shatter the plastic splitter. Brass if I could use them would be a lot better just unsure if possible.

Flow was doubled but not two fast.

So ordered two more ribbed hose from fluval spares list as are much better then plain tubbing. So considering it was a test it looked quite good.

Ohh on the testing side for tank I have it set just right for species that are in the tank as test strips from tetra are a little out on testing as water runs from one square to the other. Went to a different LFS an along with list of fish in tank and was told the ph and hardness is balanced between them all.

Just wondering if the following configuration will work

Filter one

Filer sponges on side standard
tray 1 bio foam
Tray 2 Ceramic rings 400g under filter wool
Tray 3 Filter wool under Ammonia remover bag 400g

Filter two

Filter sponge on side

Tray 1 bio foam
Tray 2 Ceramic rings 400g under filter wool
Tray 3 Filter wool under Purigen 400g

Any other combinations welcomed as need to keep plants happy too. But not removing there needs too

Just weary of using the carbon around them as I have two bags here which I add once in a while too clean the water of unwanted items if needed.

At current moment I've got 250g ammonia remover and 250g purigen in one filet and water is Crystal clear. Even with amount of fish it has in it. Possibly a little over stocked but we love being able to see fish in the tank and not having to try an see them.

Just some of them like to go hiding/ feeding amount the plants so at times the tank looked empty.

With the connecting the tubing part you could try adding some silicone to the connecting part then placed the Tubing back over it and clampdown and leave to dry.

It's ok I've ordered the fluval short hoses for the tank as they fit nice and snug and the jubilee clips tighten good on those with not too much pressure. Only issue I might face is a big leak with the fluval hose but if needed I'll go solid pvc hose and have to use more joints as not as flexible as fluval hoses.

Space is tight on the one side but that is due to using the pvc hose as I was just would be better if it was more flexible and not trying to kink.

With the connecting the tubing part you could try adding some silicone to the connecting part then placed the Tubing back over it and clampdown and leave to dry.

I am going to be doing this when it comes to the finished idea. As I can take it back to single filter on pvc tubing to let the finished product to dry and set with fluval flexi pipe in house.

Can not believe I'm actually going to be running two canister filters on the tank without any major problems "(touch wood)" can get the time to sort my sisters tank out and get hers off and running once she has moved.

Placing the chemicals before the bio media[ceramic rings] will allow the bio media to work more effectively.
I believe seachem even recommends that purigen be placed before bio media but their site is down ATM......
- Seachem Support Forums
I believe this post if it shows answers the ?

Here are the finished pictures of the way I've added the second filter on the current inlet/outlet pipes, I have not added the polishing media. As only got the sponges in there at min as just testing for leaks at the min as only been running for a hour now under the fullest pressure it will have.

Once I'm happy with the work I'll add the rest of the stuff I'm going to run in them.

Only time will tell if it works

The pressure on pumps I'm going to drop as can run both slightly slower for better flow/polishing and everything should be just where I want it. Flow on full these babies can push the water around a lot. Better circulation all round. Now once this is running with no leak for the week I'll add the injection of co2 for the plants. Plus got a lot more due on Tuesday. Around another 100 just for decoration. As want this to have as many plants as I can get away with. Need them also to be able to trim for friends and family

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hello peeps,

Just an update.

This has been running since the 5/7/16 without any issues.

Water is crystal clear plants and all livestock been happy.

Don't need to do water changes every week as ammonia levels are 0-0.1 even after two weeks which I am happy with. Only issue I've had since is having the time to enjoy watching the tank mature even more since adding more fish.

Just need to keep on top of the plants now as got to keep trimming and seating the new growth elsewhere as it ends up like a forest within two weeks may have to reduce co2 to keep the growth down but only when a fiends tank is full of the plants too lol

Sodastream co2 bottle still going after 7 weeks with a 70mm bazooka diffuser going from 7am till 11am then 2pm till 8pm on a timer. As it was getting too high of a dose of co2 so just set timer to adjust the dosage on the 240l tank.

Hope this help people as its the best choice to run two filters as only need to take one offline and change relevant media. And not much of an impact on water levels.

If you need any info get in touch

I've considered doing this. My plan was to run them in series, with coarser, bio-media or sponge-type in the 1st filter followed by finer polishing media like polyfill in the 2nd. This approach would lend itself to maximizing filter longevity.

Back
Top Bottom