Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, never took them out. Just was super careful around them. Do you have ace hardware around you? Ordered it online because it was the only place I could find it. And everywhere I went they also had no clue what I was talking about. Very easy process and beautiful end result! I look forward to seeing some pictures of your aquarium!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll have to look, we have a TrueValue around. When i tried to explain what i was looking for the guy behind was trying to say "for a pool" and then on the way to the car he stopped by and said to check WalMart as he buys his salt for this filter there. *I just hate going to/in a walmart*

Did you use a colander or a scoop with holes to keep the water in the tank and only take out the gravel without disturbing a lot of any "stuff" hidden below.

Pool supply store would be a sure bet, you can explain to the hardware store is used in the actual pool filter...

I just poked holes in a red solo cop and used that. Before I took out any gravel though I siphoned the hell out of the gravel but it still kicked up a ton of muck. Letting things sit for a couple days let the filter do it's job and it cleared up in no time. I also did another water change to get anything too heavy to float up to the filter. All in all it was a very uncomplicated project, just too patience.

Another question. How did you out the new sand in?
Cup method?
Using a long funnel or tube to get it to the bottom?

I just took one of those big lemonade cups you get at festivals and brought it all the way to the bottom and carefully dumped it.

I called a few places to find the sand. then remembered a guy from church who cleans pools and asked him. I am on my way to getting some sand to change mine over. trying to plan on how and when to do things.

Thanks for the thread and showing the Before and After

You're welcome! The best advice I can give is to not overthink it, just do it! I spent a week trying to plan and think of the best way to do it and it just drove me nuts! Come up with the most basic of plans and go with it! You'll be happy with the results! And make sure not to make the sand any deeper than 1 1/2 inches to avoid gas build up!!

I just converted my 29g to play sand and am liking it so far. I've heard about play sand stirring up easily, and it does, but it also seems to settle fairly quickly. Also it don't vacuum up as badly as I have heard.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's why I chose the pool filter sand, it's nice and heavy so it doesn't get sucked up like I had imagined it would. It's also easier to clean than play sand.

So, last week I started to remove gravel...holy cow, I must have bought a lot when i first did my tank.
I've been siphoning the gravel, and then pulling some out every few days. there are times when things get very stirred up. Thankfully the Canister Filter makes it clear quickly.

I plan on buying the PFS today.

I am not sure of any benefit but wondering if I could leave a tiny layer of gravel...if that would do anything at all. Trying to scoop it hasn't been the easiest. The Milk Jug "shovel/scoop" bends a lot more than i expected.

I know some say to leave some gravel in the tank (think I read someone used new-washed pantyhose to hang the gravel to help the Bio Load. Could some of the gravel be placed in the filter?

I would certainly consider that and keeping a bucket or two of the old water to return to the tank (if water is still suitable).

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Thanks, Good idea on the buckets of tank water to pour back in.

Most of your bacteria will be in the filter and gravel. The water will certainly add "that extra little bit" to help get the cycle underway. Also, don't clean the filter and leave it full of water.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I stripped down my whole tank, scrubbed out the entire thing, no old gravel, 50% of the old tank water back in with new pfs, kept all the filter media in tank water to preserve bb, absolutely no mini cycle whatsoever upon firing it back up. 98% of your bb resides in the filter, that last lowest layer of gravel is where the nasty poo sludge is that you'd be best in removing while you have access...

I agree with brookster. That ids going to hide any muck that you have in the tank plus when you add the sand all those rocks will end up on top of the sand. I used red solo cups with holes poked in them to remove the gravel, it worked way better than the milk jug. Then I just put some of the gravel back in the cops and say them in the tank while I waited for my sand. But as brookster already said the majority of your bb is already in your filter, there is a lot in you gravel too but it doesn't reside in the water column at all. Good this helps! Feel free to ask any questions!

Thanks everyone!

hoping to get something done this weekend. Glad I bought extra buckets (new) to have on hand.

and maybe getting some new decor will be good as well. I've been taking some stuff out like the fake plants that have torn or algae growth on them.

Well, I made the switch yesterday. My son asked why he couldn't see the fish. Today, the tank is clear again.

Feeling good now. I need to adjust the landscaping and get some more plants.

Thanks for all the info along the way.

Back
Top Bottom