Santa is Bringing me the RKE Controller!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I agree the sump it is, but I am getting a different temp reading than from the display tank, with that being said I have the chiller calibrated to the display tank. Now with putting the iTemp probe in the sump does the RK picks up that temp and shall I redo the chiller, I am so confused!!!
Any advise, anyone?

i jjust seen this post and i also will be getting my new RKE V2 on xmas so i guess we can help each other out with figuring this bad boy out. girlfriends and boyfriends are great arent they. my gf is the best for dropping around $400 dollars on what she considers my endless money pit... lol

love that! "Endless Money Pit" Well i am kinda stuck still with the two temp readings.

BTW Merry Christmas to all.

@rafatoy. How big a difference do you see between the sump and dt. Why not move the chiller probe to the sump too. One of the benefits of a sump if that you can hide all that stuff in there.

2 to 3 degrees. For now i have calibrated the chiller to the dt, should i keep it with the dt or the sump, i too agree that having it in the sump is the best idea yet.

I have everything in the sump. That's a large difference between the sump and dt. Is that using the same thermometer?

I see that much swing between glass and electric thermometers. My sump and tank are within one degree (125 gal).

The rkl has a temp probe and can control the chiller, so that should eliminate that problem. I would calibrate on/off setting to the dt though and adjust the set point accordingly.
I do that with my heaters, but calibrate against a lab grade mercury thermometer instead of the electronic controller. I tested 2 of each at the pharmaceutical I work at and the mercury ones were spot on while the electrics were 2 degrees higher.

Carey how did your rke turn out this morning? What I thought what was gonna be the rke under the tree turned out to be gift card for 400 bucks so now I'm crossed between the rke v2 and the apex controller its such a hard choice to make :)

Santa didnt order my controller in time so i have to wait for it to come tuesday. :-(

I still like the rke over the apex, more is included initially and it seems its more expandable. The apex is mighty snazzy looking though. :)

Ya I've been reading all day about it and I have mixed feelings about both units. Like I herd teck support from DA is bad and its harder to update the firmware in the rke the in the apex and with the built in Ethernet its hard to pass up but the price difference is good in favor of the rke and its looks more expandable and with the pre-made flot switches are very key.

Yep, i've heard the customer service is terrible. lol I figure or at least I hope, i wont be needing it. i also like the moonlighting module that the rke has available since I dont have moonlights and have ALWAYS wanted them lol. I plan on ordering the float kit for the ato tomorrow and maybe another power strip. Also the rke has the wave maker that controls 4 pumps, not sure how many if any the apex can do.

So after so much research I decided to go with the rke v2 and after talking to Reid at BRS he mad me feel a little more comfortable about the poor DA customer service. He said they would help with anything they could and for bigger problems they will contact DA for me. So I placed the order and received a wooping 5600 brs reward points. :) that 56 dollars off my new order I love brs so much :) :)

BRS is great aren't they? LOL I spoke to reid about my faulty calcium test kit too. He was very helpful :)

What else did you order with the rke? Did you go with the net model?

No I just got two float switches I did order a new protein Skimmer with the order tho :) . I figured I would wait till I got a hang of the unit before I get the net hook up. If i get anything soon it will be the SL2 and a salinity probe. It seems like that would come in handy for me more then the orp. I wish there was a option for us to choose between the to models.. what do u have coming with yours?

Also I think its pretty cool when u call brs after watching the video about there products and the unit and find out the guy who answered the phone was the same guy in the video that pretty much convinced me to pick the RKE. With there great videos. I can't say enough good things about bulk reef supply

I believe I only got the elite minus the net. i plan on going out tomorrow and getting the float kit and one other item. I want the moonlights and I need another socket strip too just havent decided which one to get first lol.
I also wanted it with the intention of adding a SL2 for salinity as well. :)

BRS is hard to beat. Great customer service. I've been trying to get them to sponsor the site and hope they saved some 2012 bucks for us.

The Apex has the moonlight, and everything the RKL has. Support is best done on the DA forums from what I have heard. If BRS will step in for you, that's a great service. MarineDepot does the same for both of the controllers.

Carey, it's not like you to wait to add on components. Go get them and get it all set up.

Maybe because I have been at this a bit longer and already have temp and ATO controllers and lights with full functionality that some of those items don't matter to me in a controller. But as I recall,, they both offer the same measure of control with add-ons. I may add the salinity probe just so I can check, but it's been stable for years with my ATO that it's wasted money for me. I top off my 45 gallon RODI reserve before going on vacation. My main pump would run dry before there was a change in SG.

Maybe a flood indicator would be a good add-on. At least I would get a text at work and be able to head home to mitigate the damage.

Carey did u get your controller all setup? I'm curious to see how u made out mine has a few glitches I'm trying to work out.

Yes I had no issues but remember I already had RKL do I was familiar with it. I love it. How did u like ur moonlights

I absolutely love my unit. :) It has done everything as its supposed to for now, still waiting on the ATO and another outlet strip.

Whats giving you issues? Did you update your firmware? First thing I did.

Back
Top Bottom