screen over a 40L - what is it & how do I remove it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just picked up this 40 long from a friend and I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. It's old and has been used for FW, SW, and misc herps. Biggest issue is this stupid screen that spans about 1/3 of the top. I think it's after market but the screen seems to have been glued to the underside of the lip. The black bars on either end look like they should slide but the screen itself is stuck. I would REALLY like to take it off but don't want to damage the tank - advice? If it is part of the tank though, can anyone recommend how I can clean up the calcium / rust collected on it?

Thanks!

img_1049431_0_04a6e1c8be184183ff01aee3c90c2a78.jpg

A view from above:
img_1049431_1_39390c574cd41c93facdc0e94ddb9b45.jpg

Looking at the bottom of the screen:
img_1049431_2_1e7ad8f2b7ab8a79198d3ae3aae1875c.jpg

What does putting pressure on the screen do? I think you are going to have to cut it out.

When was it used for herps? before or after ( looks like after) the fish?

When I press down it it, it bows / gives a bit but doesn't come loose. It's not as tight or immovable as a regular screen for herp & reptile tanks, if that means anything. Any idea if the tank was made this way or if this is something they added for one of the environments? If it was part of the tank, should I remove it or try to clean it?

Actually there was a lot of sand and a few crushed shells when we picked it up so I think herps were between the FW and SW. It had been sitting in the garage for quite a while and I'm guessing the tank is 10-15 years old, if not older.

Try a blow dryer to loosen or atleast make the glue plyable, it looks like silicone and it should mush up when its really warm, it wont hurt the tank.

I'll try it, thanks! Doesn't seem like it adds anything to the tank, just some rusty uglies. Will probably end up selling it so if anyone in the NW Ohio area is interested. . .

There should be a tag in the bottom of the tank that says when it was made. If you are sure that it isn't part of the tank, you could take a utility knife and cut the glue away so you can remove it.

I'm sure you already know, but I thought I'd throw it in anyways. Make sure you leak test the tank, depending on how long it has been sitting, the silicone may have dried out and become brittle posing a leak hazard.

Try a blow dryer to loosen or atleast make the glue plyable, it looks like silicone and it should mush up when its really warm, it wont hurt the tank.

Was so happy that this worked, I forgot to check back and say that it worked! Also very thankful for my workgloves and an updated tetanus shot. Once I managed to loosen up one corner of it, the rest went fairly easily.

Back
Top Bottom