Sea Clear II: Acrylic vs. Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
I have an opportunity to buy a complete 50G Sea Clear System for much less than the cost and it looks new.

It looks like a beautiful tank, no rims/trim and a nice clean look to it.

BUT I am really concerned of having a tank which I feel can scratch easily. I am looking for feedback on experiences of acrylic tanks in general, these tanks in particular if you have one...

Then the question of SW vs. FW in it? I might want to make it a SW tank, I know there are many acrylic tanks in the SW side and was wondering why other than weight and it seems acrylic would be worse with all the scratchy rocks and scraping that needs to be done?

Acrylic definitely will get small scratches over time. So basically, you need to decide how much those scratches will bother you and if you will mind breaking the tank down to buff them out.

Other than that acrylic is lighter and less green.

Acrylic definitely will get small scratches over time. So basically, you need to decide how much those scratches will bother you and if you will mind breaking the tank down to buff them out.

Other than that acrylic is lighter and less green.

By "green" do you mean eco conscious or colored?

What type of buffing does one need to do?

By "green" do you mean eco conscious or colored?
Colored :)

Most glass tanks contain small amounts of iron so they have a slightly green tint to them.

What type of buffing does one need to do?
Honestly, I am too lazy to buff so I have all glass tanks these days but, unlike glass, the scratches on acrylic can be polished out. Google polish acrylic aquarium will get you some good links. Not sure what the rules on those types of links are here or I would post some for you.

Colored :)

Most glass tanks contain small amounts of iron so they have a slightly green tint to them.

Honestly, I am too lazy to buff so I have all glass tanks these days but, unlike glass, the scratches on acrylic can be polished out. Google polish acrylic aquarium will get you some good links. Not sure what the rules on those types of links are here or I would post some for you.

Thank you for the info, and yes, I know the search button I will check that out.

I have heard lots of people moaning and groaning about the process but never seen it. Though after thinking about it, I imagine it is a little like cleaning your headlights, only more fine work. Uhg.

The trade off for a very large tank I can see, maybe not for the smaller size which wouldn't weigh as much as an elephant! :rolleyes:

It is such a pretty tank, now that it is new....

Still open to more view points. ?????

Back
Top Bottom