SeaChem Phosphate Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that I deserve a beating for this, but I have been using my test kit for several months now and today was the first time I tried running the reference test sample. It was supposed to show 1ppm, but came up ZERO. I shook the bottle, ran it several times over, and 0ppm was always the result. :censor:

Soooooo after several months of battling green water/hair algae, dosing and testing constantly to maintain a 10:1 ratio, purchasing a UV sterilizer, replanting twice in frustration, and nearly losing all hope....it is possible that my test kit is a dud?

I don't have access to another kit, so either my test is bad or the reference sample is bad and I have no way of figuring which? No LFS does water testing here in town either. Any advice?

Make your own reference solution?

If you have some water soluble house plant fertilizer, make up a solution & see what you get with your kit. Your concentration doesn't have to be exact .... just a ball-park to see if you get more than 0.

Take a gallon of water dose with your Phosphate to 1ppm and test. If you still get 0 for an answer, order a new test kit.

Thanks. It worked, so my reference bottle must be where the problem is.

I kinda wish it was the test kits fault...

my tank tears through phosphate. i basically just dose often and try to keep green spot algae at a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom