Seachem prime vs nutrafin aqua+ & Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aCHadien

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I am using nutrafin aquaplus and Cycle. After reading good reviews I decided to buy seachem prime (cheaper).

My question: prime will replace aqua plus but should I continue to use nutrafin cycle with prime?

PS: my water is not from a city. It is directly underground freshwater.

Sorry for my English,
Thanks in advance.

What are you using cycle for?

Is your tank uncycled?

No it is cycling. I did use it when I do big water change... Cycle is only good for new or uncycled tank?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

To be honest I am new and learning every day . for cycle I am following the instructions to keep a good bacterial colony. Maybe it's just a money game and I don't really need it exept for new aquarium to build it?

Attachments

• 1416500424199.jpg
    1416500424199.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 129
Prime will be good for well water because it can bind or neutralize any heavy metals which may be in the water.

It is also good to have on hand in case of urgent/emergency situations like too much ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.

I would strongly suggest against adding heterotrophic bacteria during routine water changes.

You are essentially adding new bacteria, in this case a completely different kind of bacteria, to compete with your existing bacteria.

It is also good to have on hand in case of urgent/emergency situations like too much ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about prime?

You are essentially adding new bacteria, in this case a completely different kind of bacteria, to compete with your existing bacteria.

---------------

Make sense to me.
So I can keep cycle for big water change new tank, or if my tank is not cycling?

Thanks again!

So I can keep cycle for big water change new tank, or if my tank is not cycling?
Many people use heterotrophic bacteria when cycling a new tank. A small percentage of those people report crashes shortly after they stop using it. It is up to you if this is the way you want to go. The reality is that once you have an established tank you can typically use media from those tanks which will work better than any bacteria in a bottle product.

Media... Are you talking about bio filter media like seachem max or fluval c node?

Media... Are you talking about bio filter media like seachem max or fluval c node?
Yes, those are examples. Every filter has something it is using for bio-media. It can be dedicated bio-media like you are talking about or it can be something as simple as the filter pad. It depends on the specific filter in question.

Back
Top Bottom