Second filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bostonbass

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I have a 20g planted tank. I do water changes of about 25% weekly. Using the test strips I know my parameters are good. The fish are healthy and happy.

The issue is that the water constantly has a yellowish tinge and when I change the water, I'm always amazed at how nasty the water is when it comes out. I use a Hagan AquaClear 30 on full blast. I also have a spare filter that came with a kit (I upgraded the filter). I'm wondering if adding a second filter may fix the yellow water problem?

Water out of the faucet is crystal clear though pretty hard and definitely needs Prime.

So, second filter on a 20g?

Thanks

Do you have driftwood in the tank? Driftwood often leaches tannins which can discolor tank water (yellowish, hazy, brownish).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have driftwood in the tank? Driftwood often leaches tannins which can discolor tank water (yellowish, hazy, brownish).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes a good bit. Is there a way to eliminate it?

As above active carbon or Purigen will help ,you could also try a UV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanins are actually quite beneficial for most species. It can be ugly to see though. It will eventually/gradually be less noticeable if you just keep up with regular water changes. As noted above purigen and carbon can help; but they will be removing it from teh water column and not preventing it from happening. You can pull the driftwood and try to boil it a few times to speed along the process; but thats certainly not necessary unless you cnat stand seeing the color.

Tanins are actually quite beneficial for most species. It can be ugly to see though. It will eventually/gradually be less noticeable if you just keep up with regular water changes. As noted above purigen and carbon can help; but they will be removing it from teh water column and not preventing it from happening. You can pull the driftwood and try to boil it a few times to speed along the process; but thats certainly not necessary unless you cnat stand seeing the color.

I'm shopping for backgrounds as now it's a fully clear tank all around. I don't want a "scene" just a solid color. Which would be better at reducing the yellow in the water, a deep blue back or black?

I'm shopping for backgrounds as now it's a fully clear tank all around. I don't want a "scene" just a solid color. Which would be better at reducing the yellow in the water, a deep blue back or black?

Beats me. Might be one of those situations where you need to try it and see what works.

I agree with the people who have already said that carbon will clean your water right up although I have no experience using purigen. I personally run two penguin biowheel 200s on my tank they have activated carbon in the cartridges and they keep the water looking very clean.

Had the same problem until I added activated carbon to my AQ50. I have a 23 gallon, so the filter is strong and good for the tank.

<g.m.t.a>

Back
Top Bottom