Seeding an Aquaclear 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm still old school on filters, not much knowledge on the new ;) appreciate any help you all can give. Thanks in advance.

So I have an Aquaclear 20 currently on one tank, and I'm setting up an aquaclear 30 on another tank. Since there is only one sponge, carbon, and ceramic filter on each, how do I go about seeding one from the other. Also on a freshwater tank would you all recommend removing the carbon filter?

The carbon filter's "carbon cleaning" affects really only last a couple weeks. After that it just becomes surface area for bacteria to grow on. To see the new filter, I'd cut the AC20 sponge and AC30 sponge in half and switch them. That way you carry some of the bacteria over into the new filter and seed the new media.

PS-I don't think 2 hours without a response really calls for bumping your thread...just a thought.

You can take whatever in the 20 n put it in the 30.
Buy some pillow floss from Walmart and use them as media.
Carbon shouldn't be used if you ain't removing medc.
Since the 20 is another cycle.

The carbon filter's "carbon cleaning" affects really only last a couple weeks. After that it just becomes surface area for bacteria to grow on. To see the new filter, I'd cut the AC20 sponge and AC30 sponge in half and switch them. That way you carry some of the bacteria over into the new filter and seed the new media.

PS-I don't think 2 hours without a response really calls for bumping your thread...just a thought.

Ok thank you, I'll look into cutting the sponge in half. Sorry about the bump, not intending to offend, just looking for some answers. Figured people would be all over this one, since everyone on here recommends the aquaclear so much.

You can take whatever in the 20 n put it in the 30.
Buy some pillow floss from Walmart and use them as media.
Carbon shouldn't be used if you ain't removing medc.
Since the 20 is another cycle.

Not sure what you mean about the 20 is another cycle? The 20 is already cycled, looking to establish the 30.

Back
Top Bottom