Septic fields and saltwate aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm considering moving to house on a septic system. One of the concerns with septic is the AMOUNT of water that you force into the system. We all know that RO/DI systems run a lot of waste water when filtering, but I think I could rig up something to recycle that through the RO/DI to minimize the output.

But what about large dumps of SW into the system? I'm thinking of water changes on a large system...changes that might be 10-20 gallons per week. Does SW have any adverse affects on septic systems?

I can not see that being a problem. When you get a bath you end up draining WELL over 20 gallons of water into the septic system and keep in mind that at some homes, there may be three people getting a bath at the same time. When engineers design septic systems I am sure they keep things like this in mind. If your concern is flooding your septic system, I would not be worried at all.

HTH

Joe

Good point....but what about salt water? I suppose salt itself is fairly harmless, but I'm concerned that there might be some effect that I don't understand.

I dont dump my SW down the drain because I do not want to take any chances with the SW killing off FW bacteria in the septic that are important to the breaking down of waste.
On the other hand bleach in the wash I'm sure does not help them either. So I just toss it on the side of the house away from any flowers..

I just toss mine on the side of the house as well ... for some reason it really makes my grass grow???

I have read that the effects of SW on a septic are not as bad as you would think anyway, what really kills a septic is if A) you drain your wash machine into your system B) you don't use septic safe products worst thing being toilet paper C) every month MAKE SURE you use a product called RID-X and D) have your septic pumped at least once a year depending on size ... 500gallons every year and 1000 gallons every 1 1/2 years!

I have had a few septic systems over the years. I have never had one emptied and have never used Ridx. Might look into that but never had any issues.

I also take my water and dump it on the side of the house. I don't have a sink in my basement so that is the only real option at this time. On my last house I did pour it in the sink.

I do worry about the pumps though. I currently have a septic system that has a pump. I would worry about the salt water sitting and corroding the pump. I would think that the normal water use of the house would dilute it but I do wonder about it. I have 2 kids so we do a lot of laundry!

ellisz said:
I have had a few septic systems over the years. I have never had one emptied and have never used Ridx. Might look into that but never had any issues.

You may want to check into it ellisz. Septic systems generally will not show a problem for a long time, but if and when they do the problems can be very expensive. If you own the house the measures I mentioned above will keep your tank(s) and drain field in good shape and prevent any future problems.

I have to replace my drainfield in the house that I just bought ... if I don't do it myself (YUK) I'm looking at like $2000, maybe more! Of course it all depends on the size of your house and what type of system you have, but they are very expensive to replace.

Jermz79

My first house we built and I paid for the septic and install. Basically consisted of 2 concrete boxes and about 4-5 lateral lines on about an acre of ground. I lived there 5 years and never did a thing. House is now 8 yrs old and I know the owners and all is well.

The house I have now is similar but one tank pump to the other and then feeds the laterals.

Not doubting you but where did you get your info on Ridx and its uses? I have heard of it but never used it.

Thanks for the information.

My best friend from Highschool is in the septic buisness and I have now owned 3 houses all on septic! RidX is a product used to rebuild depleted bacteria in your septic, bacteria that is beneficial for breaking down solid waste and turning it into a liquid for drainage into your drain field!!

General septic system/cesspool/sand mound tips:

1. For system longevity, minimize waste water directed into the system. This cannot be over emphasized.
2. Pump regularly, based on system size and number of household members. Yearly is overkill, but can provide good mental insurance for about $250 a year if you want. Average is about every 2-3 years. Better yet, rather than just pumping, have system checked and cleaned. This involves a digout of access, inspection, cleaning baffles, stirring of the soup and pumping. Just sticking the pump hose down the system will not remove all solids.
3. No need to use any product. Plenty of evidence to support this, but you'll find opinions to the contrary.
4. Never drive over system. Never cover. Evaporation is main source of water removal.
5. Minimize use of obvious bacteria killing products, such as bleach, cleaning and painting chemicals.
6. Remind guests/family you're on septic/cesspool.
7. Primary source of drainfield clogs is suspended particles, such as what your clothes washer puts out. A fliter such as the Filtrol 160 can address this.
8. Make your next washer a front load, like a Maytag Neptune. Reduces water use by thousands of gallons per year.
9. Save for system replacement/maintenance. The system will eventually fail. I've seen systems 5-8 years old fail, then again, I know of cesspools working well after 100+ years. It just depends.

Given all of the above, RO/DI and tank wastewater would be better dumped elsewhere, but in the amounts you're talking, it's not that big of a deal. I'd just accelerate the pumping schedule a bit for a comfort level. If the water's easy to dump elsewhere, then do that some to all of the time. Just don't dump over the system or above your well if you have one. On-site waste water systems can be cheaper and process output better than public sewer if properly used/cared for. Good luck.

I have a septic system. I would never in a million years dump RidX or saltwater down the drain. Here is why:

RidX will end up killing the beneficial bacteria in your septic system! It is supposed to help it, but time and time again I have been told by plumbers, that are my friends mind you, that it is actually really bad for your septic system because it boosts the bacteria. Now that may sound backwards but keep listening... When you boost bacteria and it eats everything really fast, then it will starve when it runs out of food.

Instead use dry yeast to keep your septic system healthy! My parents have had their home for over 28 years and have never had to had their septic system pumped and have never had problems with it. They use dry yeast once a year to make sure that the bacteria levels are healthy.

My husband and I bought our house a few years ago… the people who owned it prior used RidX every month. We had to have it replaced before buying the house because the entire bottom had been destroyed. I am not sure that RidX was the cause of it, but our home is just as old as my parents and the prior septic system had been in perfect condition when the people we bought the home from bought it. The owned the home for six years. They started having problems with the septic system about two years before they sold it.

I totally agree with OneBowl and his tips on good septic system health. I would go as far as to suggest, maybe once every five years do an inspection, if you have a healthy tank after the first inspection, don’t make any changes and you could go maybe another 5-10 years on that inspection.

Okay now on to the issue of pouring saltwater from the fish tank down the drain. I do not do this and I would not recommend making a habit out of doing this to a septic system. Not only can the saltwater cause problems with the system because of the excessive use, but the salt itself can kill certain bacteria that may otherwise be very good for your septic tank.

Ever heard of a saltwater swimming pool? Basically a minor amount of salt is poured into the pool as opposed to using chorine or bromine. It kills the bacteria that would cause the algae growth and any kind of waste products that are added through people swimming. If this happens in a swimming pool, imagine what would happen to your septic system by introducing large amounts of saltwater.

I would also strongly advise that you have the waste from the RO/DI system dump into an are of your yard where you wont mind constant swamp like areas. Maybe even start a mangrove area around it!

Back
Top Bottom