Seriously?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I went to feed my puffer and one of the light bulb fixtures in the hood is broken somehow. There is a metal piece that the bulb screws into which somehow disconnected and now even if I touch the light bulb to the metal thing (sorry don't know what it's called) the light on one side won't work. WTH? What a birthday present, busted hoods and filters.

Walmart tanks SUCK lol

I'm confused. What types of bulbs do you have? Are they fluorescent? Is the fixture broken (the thing that the bulb connects to) or is the actual bulb broken? If it's the bulb, can't you just replace it?

i was confused when i read this, too. sounds like maybe the starter is broken? did you get it figured out? if not, maybe you could attach a picture?

Likewise confused.... incandescent hood? I've seen a few that sort of seperate from the plastic hood and become loose. Is that what has happened?

Likewise confused.... incandescent hood? I've seen a few that sort of seperate from the plastic hood and become loose. Is that what has happened?

Lol sorry for all the confusion, this is what happened ^. Yes I have an incandescent hood, with fluorecsant bulbs.

if I'm understanding right, this is an incandescent fixture, and the socket that the bulb screws in to has broken loose, is that right?

Yes! I have no idea how it happened. I just turned the light on and one side wasn't working. So I sat there for a minute trying to screw the bulb back in and then I realized it was already screwed into the socket but the socket came right out.

That should be a fairly easy fix... all you have to do is mount the actual socket again, unless the wiring has been messed up. If memory serves me correctly, the hoods arent very expensive anyways, it might just be better/safer to buy a new one.

If you still have the recite take the hood back to walmart (box too if you have it) tell them your tank is set up blah blah blah they can/should replace it. If they give you a hard time buy a new hood take it home then put broken hood back in the box and get your money back.

That is a super good idea, buying a new one then taking the broken one back. Because I don't think I have the receipt anymore. Actually, I might still have it... but it has been 30 days too so they might not take it. I was thinking of going to buy a new hood altogether so that sounds like a plan to me. Then I will have a new hood and not be out the extra money to get it :D thanks!

I was thinking of trying to glue the socket back on, but the light doesn't even work when touched to the starter thing anyways so it probably wouldn't do anything but make a mess and piss me off more lol

Yeah.... I should! Only thing with that is I am not sure exactly what kind of filter I have, but I think I can figure it out. Hopefully walmart will even take the hood back. I went to Meijer's tonight to try and pick up some feeder snails and the woman in the pet dept had NO CLUE what I was even talking about, she wouldn't sell me any because they didn't have a upc code. I was like whatever lady. Pissed me off though

light

Yeah thats a real good idea bring back the broken one so one of us get stuk with it down the road sounds like a real good deal to me LOL

Back
Top Bottom