Set up Q. 155g reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting close. May have even ordered some parts I don't need, but here goes....

Setting up a 155g RR tank. Got two overflow boxes.

Return pump is an Ehiem 1250. With head loss, 1/2 return hose, etc, I'm figuring about 30 - 60 GPH. Doing that 'cause my return is a 30x15x18 acrylic fuge. I want no more than 2x turnover in ther. Got two return holes drilled in the sump/fuge. Gonna use only one return hole @ the bottom of the tank instead of the two and point it to the front glass. On either side of the tank, using Tunze Stream twin 6000's with controller for 1850gph or so from each pointed right at each other.

My concern is the skimmer and UV. Need to hook up the skimmer and suck from the return chamber. Most likely an external pump and skimmer near the top of my 18" sump/fuge. A UV (run only one day weekly, or 7 days straight w/new fish) would also draw from the skimmer area and put it back on the tank return side of the sump/fuge. Almost forgot to mention I'm having a 35ish gallon FW reservoir under the cabinet also.

Will that slow flow thru the fuge be a problem with the skimmer running with a faster pump? How about the UV? Seems like I'll be nuking and skimming water so many times before it returns to the tank.

Have I made myself clear as mud yet?

Any thoughts?

The problem would only be ineffecency, at least all the water in the fuge will be well skimmed but the main might not be getting skimmed enough times an hour. that would depend on the cycles skimmed per hour goal, if you are getting that It would acually be a good design idea IMHO
It would work much like a reciculating skimmer, So I wouldn't think you would need a reseculating skimmer for this application.

Back
Top Bottom