Setting up Sump on existing stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...I have a 90 gallon tank up and running with only chromis. The tank has a canister filter but I recently bought a sump to replace the canister. The problem is the stand has a center brace that is blocking the sump from fitting. Therefore, I am asking advice on how to move forward with the project. See pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 124
If there's really on Chromis in there, and maybe a little bit of LR that I can see in the pic, consider getting some tubs to collect the water in and draining it. Getting rid of that water weight you can remove the center brace, install the sump, then put the brace back in.

It's really risky doing it any other way if there isn't a way to manipulate the sump into fitting through the door.

Can't see the construction inside the stand from the pics - is it possible to remove the side panel while still leaving the supports in place, or is the side panel part of the supprt?

take out the brace. you don't need it.
just put a 2x4 across the the top front of the stand, on the inside, on end, with 2x3 on either end as supports.
and that's if you are nervous.
i know a guy with a similar stand that removed his center brace on a 125 and didn't have any problems for 7 years., until he broke the tank down.

I was planning to use 2 peices of 2x3 as support at both ends. The rmove about 50% of the water and the center brace.

Just put in some blocks to hold up the weight while you take out the brace. Once you have the sump in place put the brace back and remove the blocks. But in all honesty you can do without the blocks. Take the brace out for two minutes while you put the sump in then put the brace back :)

Should be able to support it for a couple minutes without the brace. I have a similar stand that is what I did, if you look at the pics in my profile I have an almost identical set-up.

The sump is now in the stand

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110131_091140.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110131_091140.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 103
  • ForumRunner_20110131_091153.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110131_091153.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 104
  • ForumRunner_20110131_091237.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110131_091237.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 111
The sump is now in the stand

Good job. I already made another door on the side of my stand for when my sump is build. Never hurts to have a third door anyways. Which model Aqueon ProFlex is that? Even though i'm building my own, I am curious as to houw you make out with this. The removable wall to make it into a berlin system scares me a bit. How does it seal?? Do you HAVE to keep the sponge in there when in use?

Chisel said:
Good job. I already made another door on the side of my stand for when my sump is build. Never hurts to have a third door anyways. Which model Aqueon ProFlex is that? Even though i'm building my own, I am curious as to houw you make out with this. The removable wall to make it into a berlin system scares me a bit. How does it seal?? Do you HAVE to keep the sponge in there when in use?

I have the model 2 sump. It seals well but I have not remove the sponge yet because I am waiting to receive my new Skimmer this week and I am still doing to plumbing

How does the middle chamber (skimmer chamber) stay at a constant water level with those holes where the sponge is? Or does the water just evaporate from the right return chamber? I was looking at the diagrams where it shows the water flow for a berlin system and it shows the water level in the return chamber at the same height as everything else.

it wont.every part of that setup to the right of first section will act like the return section,the water level will keep changing due to evaporation and water top up,you can't put a skimmer in there at all.Unless the two holes are sealed at the bottom of the last seperator to force the water flow up and through the large hole.

agreed. i would seal up those holes with the arrows going through them, but it appears as though you'll have to shorten that entire wall a couple inches. how tall is that wall? can you cut it down to about 10" or so?

Back
Top Bottom