Setup sump now im nervouse if i loose suction on the overflo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddiedellz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I setup my sump today now looking at it what would happen if i loose suction in the sump im nervouse if i loose suction that id have a big flood from my sump pumping all the watter in the sump up to the tank and the tank overflowing what should i doo? any solution for right now ? anythign ? - nervouse
thanks!
-Ed

raise your pump intake or lower the water level in your sump. My sump is attached to the overflow so I was lost for a minute.

Im doing the same thing right now. What I have decided is to put a float valve in my sump upside down. If the water level drops to low in the sump it will kick off the return pump.

I will be careful in using the float switch to turn on the pump. Is the relay in the float switch rated enough for the pump electrical wise??

You can try a check valve if you want, but invest in a good one.

the best solution for an overflow using a U tube is using 2 U tubes....
I actually have dual overflows and both have 2 U tubes...I dont think it increases the flow but acts as a fail safe if a tube looses suction
the other thing to think about is if u loose power. since your return pump return pipe should be under water, if u loose power is will suck water back down into your sump...the solution to this is drill 2 holes in the return pipe jsut under the water level to break the suction there.
I like the though of the auto turn off of the pumps but the issue i see with that is if u dont have a auto top off and are away for a few days and ur water level goes down...ur pumps turn off :( just a side though

The easy solution (what I did) is just like Brenden said. Just raise the intake of the pump in the sump to an inch or two below the surface....that way if the overflow siphon breaks, your pump will pump that inch or two into your main, and then suck air. Better to lose a pump than to overflow the main onto your carpet. I did mine and I've tested it many a time.....works perfect.

If you have U tubes, you have nothing to worry about *if* it is setup proper. You can of course test by turning off you return pump and then restarting it. The magic behind the U tube is simple. Once the water drops to a certain level, it no longer flows into the overflow box. This is turn causes the sending side of your overflow setup to stabilize as well. The water is in a state of equilibrium. Again testing should show if you are setup proper. Raising or lowering your over flow will raise or lower the level in your display tank. (It will also determine how high or low the water is in your sump) If you have it plumbed properly, you can get the same results by throttling back on your return pumps ball valve. Whatever the case may be, test it. I have a pair of U tubes (Yes it increases potential GPH) and I am about to add a 3rd as I have a dual overflow which can outrun the 2 U tubes. (Causes a nasty 'sucking' noise) As a result I have to throttle up the return pump (Via ball valve) to get the water flowing back to over come the overflow just enough to keep it quiet. That said, I have tested and have witnessed power outages many times and evrything works as designed. Gotchas would be anything you innocently stick in the tank that drains in to the sump as well. (I put a ph in the tank to feed my phosban reactor which emptied into my sump. When the power went out it still siphoned water, so becareful not to circumvent your failsafes! ; ) Also, make sure your resturns are drilled just below the water line to prevent back siphoning.

GL!

Back
Top Bottom