Should I add another filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
quick question here ... I currently have a 55g with an AquaClear 300 filter. Now sposedly this is enough filter for my tank according to the stats for the AC300. But, it seems to me that by weeks end (ie: I clean out my filter once a week) the flow rate has definitely decreased ... I can tell a noticable difference in the water movement on the top of the tank.

So, with that said, I've considered a few options:

1. adding another AquaClear 300/70
2. Adding a Powerhead (just to move the water)
3. Adding a Canister filter

I think 1 is the cheapest solution and easiest to accomplish ( I can pick up an AC70 for around $22-24. But I considered going with a powerhead as they can move more water and can be positioned differently. The canister is a nice thought, but I'm not sure I want to invest that much $$$ in it.

Can anyone recommend or give pros/cons for the best solution?

tia

Definitely get another filter. If you get a noticable decrease in flow in a weeks time, you really need something else to start helping to trap that waste.

You should aim for 6-8x the turn over of your tank. 10x if you keep really messy fish. The AC300 is just under 6x per hour for your tank. I would either switch to a canister or add the extra HOB. The power head will not do anything for your filter. It will still get clogged up.

OK ... so the powerhead idea is out ... is there any major reason to choose a canister filter over the AC300 HOB filter?

Having a canister and HOB will give you the best of both worlds. I really like the combination myself.

I like canisters, but a combo approach gives you good options...like making the canister primarily your bio filter + mechanical, and then use the HOB for filter floss and carbon (if you use carbon)...more of a polishing station and for current.

I prefer the canister because it is not noticeable, you can't hear it, and it's easy to maintain. I'd go with the canister. You may spend more now, but it's a good investment. You should purchase a canister that is made for a tank bigger than a 55 gal. We have a Cascade 1000 which is made for 100 gal on our 55. It works GREAT.

I have a pair of fluval 404's in a 55 gal (about $89each on line.) Quiet, easy to use. no splashing sounds, but if you want splashing sounds just raise the outflow spout. HOB or canister will do the job, but canisters are easy to live with.

Back
Top Bottom