Should I exchange my filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelThoughts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank setup came w/a Tetratec pf300 Power Filter but some people have been telling me to exchange it and get a Penguin biowheel.
I will more than likely be putting rams and apistos in this 36g bowfront....
Should I Keep the filter or try to trade it in at the LFS (hoping he will swap it out.)
When I originally bought the set up I asked about exchanging for a bio wheel filter but the owner said "Na these are much better now than the biowheels"
What do you think?

I've never heard of that filter. Personally, I have bio wheels, AquaClear, Fluvals, Whisper and a ViaAqua~and as long as they work, that's fine with me!
Do a little internet research on your filter and see if there is a site that compares your filter to the biowheel.
BTW--did the LFS owner say why those filters were better?

Well the owner said he prefers these Tetratec filters because they've been around for like 20 years or so and says he uses them for his tanks at the store. They've been re-engineered recently and that they are built to last is what he says? Not too sure.........

Get a Emporer 280/400 and you are good to go for a 36gals tank, Penguin biowheel are pretty much similar to Emporer model just that they have smaller biowheel. However I opt for a Fluval canister if you can afford it. Tetratec isn't really my favor for freshwater filter.
Check out place like http://www.bigalsonline.com or http://www.drsfostersmith.com you should find plenty and lots cheaper than LFS, I am not going back to my LFS and spend like $100 for some thing that cost about 1/3 price only, I feel sorry for the LFS, but I just can't!!! :(

I agree with nguyen27 the Fluval canisters can't be beat.
However they are pricey but you get what you pay for.
If you do want to save some money go for the Aquaclear 500.
They have a good gph turn over rate for a HOB filter and work real good.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom