Should I get this broken tank & try to fix it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

underwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I shouldn't get another tank, but of course I want one if I can find one that is a good enough deal. I really shouldn't but can't help at least considering it...

I found someone selling a 125 gal that leaks but has no visible cracks on the sides. Might have a crack on the bottom under the gravel, but probably not.

What are my odds of successfully being able to seal it up? If it truly has no visible cracks, then it seems like I can just add lots of GE Silicone I along all the existing seals, right? (I figure that if it has a visible crack on the bottom, I don't want to attempt it, right?)

Or is it foolish to try and buy this leaky one just to save the extra $100-$250? (For $100-$250 more, I could buy a used 125 g that does not leak.) I am not that handy and with the tank being so huge and heavy I would NOT be able to move it or lift it off its stand. So I would not be able to apply the silicone to the bottom, only from the inside.

I would intend for this to only be half filled with water since I want a river tank, so that helps a little. Also I would be open to possibly putting some glass or plexiglass on the bottom, if I could find the right size pieces -- but that of course adds to the expense and work.

Thanks for any input.

IMO buying a used than is risky enough, let alone a leaking one. Unless you have the experience or want the experience of resealing a aquarium I would stay clear of a known leaker. I think if you keep looking you'll a good deal sooner or later.

IME you will need to remove all sealant, clean the joints and reseal. Not as easy as it sounds, with your head inside the tank with the fumes.

If you do want to go with a leaker make sure you inspect it for cracks or chips along the seams.

Good luck.

I personally wouldn't do it unless you have experience in resealing. I was given a 75 gal that leaked at the front bottom seam and I am still working on it. Hopefully 3rd times a charm.

Thanks, yeah I am going to pass on this tank. I don't need the place stinking of silicone, I kind of forgot about that part. (It is going to stink from other stuff I plan to do, but it shouldn't be the same volume.) And I don't want water all over the carpet. Plus I really should try to wait at least til Nov to get another tank if I can.

Susankat, I hope it works too!

Well, if it were me, I would have bought the tank. It's REALLY easy to reseal a used tank if there are 0 cracks. You basically take a few razor blades, a bottle of alchohol and a clean towell.

Cut the old silicone completely off the aquarium, being sure not to actually stick the blade between the joined glass. Then go back and clean it all with alchohol and dry. Once completely dry, go back and put a 1/4" bead of silicone on each joint/edge, use your finger or a caulking tool to smooth out the silicone, The idea is that a little bit of silicone in the right place is better than a lot done sloppy. If you take your time, you have a 100% chance of sealing up that tank.

Yeah, I know that once you have experience, it's easy... sounds good... I would like to try it on a small tank sometime. I don't know about doing it with a huge tank that I can't even move. When one edge of silicone is gone, it'd stay in place with the other edges right?

Yeah, I know that once you have experience, it's easy... sounds good... I would like to try it on a small tank sometime. I don't know about doing it with a huge tank that I can't even move. When one edge of silicone is gone, it'd stay in place with the other edges right?

The tank is not held together by the silicone you see, you can cut every last bit of the visible silicone off and the tank will hold together.

The very first tank I ever resealed was a 150 gallon tall, if I can do it, you can. Or if the tank is cheap, send it my way via freight :-D

wow whats your location for 100-200 you can pick up 120 gallons with stand. i wouldnt risk it but it can be done. i wold make sure there are no cracks. if its cracked its almost worthless.

Back
Top Bottom