Should I glue egg crate to the bottom...or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glassbird

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be revamping my 75 gallon freshwater tank in a couple of weeks. I have FINALLY been able to buy the filter of my dreams on Craig's list (an Eheim 2028 ) :D and want to remove the undergravel filter plates and powerheads that are in the tank now, and the HOB, as well. But, I have always used fishing line to tie plastic plants to UGF plates, so that when I vacuum the gravel the plants stay put. I need something on the bottom to tie plants to.

I plan on replacing the UGF plates with a sheet of egg crate, cut to size, and painted with Krylon Fusion to blend with the color of the gravel. My original plan was to glue it to the bottom of the tank with several large dabs of silicone aquarium sealer, and letting it cure for a week or so before refilling the tank. But that is going to complicate future attempts at adding or moving plants. My gravel is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, and I was going to only use enough to cover the egg crate, but I have much more if needed.

Do you think that the egg crate will stay down by itself, despite periodic vacuuming? I have no experience with it in this application. Or will it want to rise to the surface? I was going to put some heavy flatish rocks in the back corners, but nothing near the front. I want to get this right, the first time, and not have to drain and dry (and glue) it again in a few months.

Opinions needed!

Leaving the UGF plates in place without powerheads creates a dead space under the gravel. I know from past experience that crud will build up under there with no powerhead to move stuff thru. I did consider putting the plates back in up side down...still some small space for crud build up, however. But it might stay down better. The shape of it would hold the gravel, and the gravel will hold it down. Egg crate has no holding capacity, hence my concern that it will rise over time.

One vote from mgamer that it will stay put...thanks! Anyone else?

If you use one piece of eggcrate, I dont think you'll have any problems. If you were using multiple pieces, I could see where you might run in to some issues with it not staying put. You'll have some rocks/decor on there as well holding it down, right? I say skip the glue

Back
Top Bottom