should i reduce my flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benchmark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello folks,
I have recently upgraded from my old in-tank Fluval filter to an external Eheim 2226 filter (700l/h) for my 200 liter tank.

Inside the Eheim i have the recommonded small substrate- pro balls with micro pores for bacteria to colonise..

I was recently wondering if my Eheim filter was maybe pumping too fast and the water was maybe passing too fast inside the pump cycle that the anerobic bacteria dont have time to achive optimal function due to the fast flow.

Will i attain better bacteria activity if i reduced the pumps outflow rate to maybe half so that the water pump cycle slows don and the bacteria can act properly onnthe water before it passes through?

thankyou.

Don't worry about too muc flow for the bacteria. The aerobic (requires oxygen) bacteria will coat every surface they can. You can not grow anerorbic bacteria (in the absence of oxygen)in a cannister filter.

The bacteria live on the surface of anything they can cling to. The canister is designed to produce the correct amount of flow.

What makes you think that it is too fast?

Back
Top Bottom