Should I remove my UG filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys
My cichlids keep exposing my/their UG filter and I can't keep with these construction workers. I have about 5" of gravel on top, I'll fix it at night only to find it all dug up again. Should I remove it or is there an alternative?

Do you have any other filter on the tank? I'm a fan of canisters or AC HOBs for FW. UGFs are best run in RUGF mode if run at all (JMO). With cichlids (which type?), it may be impossible to run it either way.

Some people would say yes to this because they don't think the UG does as it should. My thoughts?

I use UGs in 4 out of 7 tanks. I like having the riser tubes for using power heads. I also think they do a good job of keeping the tank clean. I don't use just a UG though. In addition to the UG I have power filters on all the tanks. Why? Because I don't think you can have enough filtration. Especially with cichlids.

In our 55 cichlid tank we have the UG, power heads on either end, the ammo-carb heads for the UG and 2 power filters rated for 60g. We also are using large gravel. I went with the large gravel because I know how cichlids like to redecorate.

Are your cichlids only clearing one spot? You might want to put a large river rock, piece of wood, or just some flat slate in that spot.

I honestly would say leave the UG in the tank and just fix what the redecoraters mess up. Cichlids will be cichlids. Even our little Ram cichlids moved the gravel in the 14g. They wanted to spawn in one spot and didn't want to use any of the flat stones. Picky lil buggers. :)

Your cichlids are either just setting the tank up the way they want it or they could be making a spawn site. Males will clear out a spot even if there isn't a female around to egg them on.

Do you have any other filter on the tank? I'm a fan of canisters or AC HOBs for FW. UGFs are best run in RUGF mode if run at all (JMO). With cichlids (which type?), it may be impossible to run it either way.
The tank is a 44 Pentagon with an eheim 2215 and the UG. It's been my belief that an exposed UG is not a good thing. If it wont harm anything I'll let the africans do as they wish.

Some people would say yes to this because they don't think the UG does as it should. My thoughts?

I use UGs in 4 out of 7 tanks. I like having the riser tubes for using power heads. I also think they do a good job of keeping the tank clean. I don't use just a UG though. In addition to the UG I have power filters on all the tanks. Why? Because I don't think you can have enough filtration. Especially with cichlids.

In our 55 cichlid tank we have the UG, power heads on either end, the ammo-carb heads for the UG and 2 power filters rated for 60g. We also are using large gravel. I went with the large gravel because I know how cichlids like to redecorate.

Are your cichlids only clearing one spot? You might want to put a large river rock, piece of wood, or just some flat slate in that spot.

I honestly would say leave the UG in the tank and just fix what the redecoraters mess up. Cichlids will be cichlids. Even our little Ram cichlids moved the gravel in the 14g. They wanted to spawn in one spot and didn't want to use any of the flat stones. Picky lil buggers. :)

Your cichlids are either just setting the tank up the way they want it or they could be making a spawn site. Males will clear out a spot even if there isn't a female around to egg them on.
I don't mind leaving it in as long as it's OK to leave some areas exposed without compromising the fish or the biological.

I think it being exposed would only adversely affect fry. The trouble with UGFs is that waste tends to accumulate beneath the plates. If you can keep it clean and clear, stick with it. How's your nitrate trend in this tank?

Nitrates now after my last water change a week ago are about 3mg/l. It's has only got as high as 8mg/l in three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom