Siamese betta fighter fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machollie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently found out I need to keep him on own as attacking mollies. What type of tank do I need? Really need help as not got a clue now what he needs as he was Mia sold to me the poor thing.

ok confused as called the aquatics and they told me he is fine with Mollies but other sites say different!!! PLEASE HELP :(

Just relax, that's the first thing to do.

What size tank are they in now?
Is it heated and filtered?
What kind of decorations are in there?
Is it just the one molly, and what does the molly look like?
Has the fighting started yet or not?

Every betta is different, some will be relatively peaceful, others will be incredibly aggressive, and then there's everything in between. You could end up having a peaceful friendship between your fishies. Things that would help it be peaceful is if the molly isn't too flashy or colourful, if the tank is large enough so the betta doesn't get aggressive from lack of space, or if there's plenty of decorations and plants to give the molly places to hide/get out of your betta's way.

If it doesn't work out, there's a couple of things you can do. Provided the tank is big enough, you can use a tank divider to separate the two. If you can accomodate it though I'd probably recommend picking up a small tank (5 gallon/20 litre) minimum and housing your betta in there (after cycling of course).

It's important to know about fish yourself, before buying. In the end, the LFS is there to make a profit and survive as a business. Some are more honest than others. In the future, before buying ANY fish make sure to research it and its compatibility yourself. In the end it can save you time and money with unsuitable fish.

Hi my tank is big enough its a 80 litre and the mollies (2) are getting tails nipped and one was killed yesterday! He don't like other mollies swimming close he deffo need a separate tank, Also on-line tells you he is not compatible with them I trusted the store that set my tank up and was mis lead!! :(

I do have lots of fresh plants in there and hideouts too so that's covered. Few more wont hurt I guess!

its a new tank - just spent £180 on this one I cant afford to really shed more on a tank.

It is only one molly dead and another one with bit of tail missing - Had them for 3-4 months no issues till last week.

Do you have mollies and a Betta then?

Being completely honest with you I've never had either, I've just done a LOT of research.

You have plenty of room, so hopefully the mollies learn their lesson and keep out of his way :s I think the divider would be the way to go as soon as you can get some money for it (or I'm sure there's DIY articles about making them yourself to save some cash). In the short term I have seen them placed in breeder boxes before, but don't leave him in there too long because there's only so much space to move in them.

And like you said, more plants can't hurt! With a lot of aggressive fish they tend to be a bit more subdued if their lines of sight are broken up a bit. Plants in the middle of the tanks could help this. Also there's a ton of cheap DIY decorations (terracotta pots come to mind) that you can make to give the mollies some refuge

Going to have to get different tank as let him out of breeders box and attacked all the molls the popped him back after bit of a swim and still trying attacking them as they swim past him in box :( he will just do the same with divider. Also molls went in pot I have and he followed being nasty.... So upset by this

With a divider you can keep it permanently on though? Shame you have a rather aggressive betta though

If you can afford it though then another tank is always good, gives you more room to work with your 20 gallons :)

No matter he died probably from eating mollies!! serves it right but least all my other fish are ok and I have complained about the store that served me too!

Back
Top Bottom