*Sigh* Another problem, ordered wrong skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it seems my clueless self has gone and gotten a protein skimmer not appropriate for my 29 gallon tank. It's not a name brand, just a cheapo plastic one with a 530gph pump. The problem lies in that it's internal so it would take up half my tank. Look at the size of that thing LOL

I now realize I have to spend the money. I was looking at remora's with the 1200 maxi jet. It's a hang on and has a small footprint. I don't mind that it would be taller than the tank by a few inches either.

I also looked at the octupus ones but they seem incredibly big for my small setup.

Good question is what do I do with the skimmer now? Think I can find a taker on CL?

Thanks for any input. I will be keeping mostly corals and not fish if that matters.

That's a HOB protein skimmer? Looks like an in-sump skimmer to me.. Just because there's no bend in the PVC to accommodate having the pump in the tank and the skimmer on the back. I would say definitely try and list it on CL or ebay or on a local forum, just to see if you can get anything for it.

I had an octopus HOB protein skimmer on my 55G and it was an amazing skimmer. Worked like a charm.

Yeah the Octopus gets great reviews, just worried about the size. It's a bit cheaper than the remora but def bigger.

The skimmer is an inside hang on. the mount is on the backside. Like I said, I did a dumb thing. LOL But I'll fix it.

the remora is not worth the money IME. go with the octo HOB, or just do weekly water changes and skip the skimmer. doing a water change on a 29 is not too big a deal.

I was intending on doing PWC weekly anyway. You really don't think I'll need it? I do want to add a good amount of corals and maybe 3 fish at some point so I want the best water quality I can get. If it costs $$ so be it.

Which octopus would be the best for me? Theres so many. I know I don't want a sump model but the HOB section is kinda big

i live about an hour from that store. great store!
i think that if you stock reasonably, and feed reasonably, you can do without a protein skimmer on that little tank.

Back
Top Bottom