Silent Air Pump...does it exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Does a silent air pump exist?

• Yes - the Whisper air pumps are silent!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - the Rena air pumps are silent!

• Yes - another brand that I will tell you in a reply to this thread is silent!

• Nope, get used to the noise.

• I don't know!!!

• Total voters

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like to add a small air pump and air stone to my 12 gallon Eclipse tank. One of the main reasons why I went with the Eclipse tank was because it is nearly silent. So I'm in the search of a small air pump that is as quiet as possible.

So far, I've looked at the 'Whisper 20' and the 'Rena 100'. Has anyone tried these, and if so, how loud are they?

Also, from what I've read the Whisper and Rena 50, 100 air pumps do not have adjustable air flow rates. Is it worth the extra $10 to get the Rena 200 instead of the 100 for the adjustable air flow, and would the 200 be too much for a 12 gallon tank?

Thanks for your input,
David

I use the whisper 100, and my desk is 6 feet from it, and I do not here it. The bubbles in the tank make more noise then the pump does. JMO

Whisper air pumps are excellent. I used to use one in my 10 gallon hex that is in my room... I just took it out because the whistling of my air wand drove me crazy.

I have a Rena 200 and I can hear it 40 feet away. I bought it 'cause I'd heard it was very quiet. Not so much. So I got the Marineland one that looks like a frog, 'cause I'd heard it was very quiet. Not so much, maybe louder than the Rena.

Next time, I'll try the Whisper one! Oy.

I have a Rena 200 and I can barely notice its on. I have it sitting on a penn plax expand-a shelf which hangs on the back of the tank. Yes you can adjust it so that it would work for any tank. I have mine turned down and use it with a Rena micro-bubbler. Before the Rena, I had an adjustable dolphin pump. Very powerful,good pump, but noisy. Returned it for the Rena. I looked at the Whispers, but their not adjustable. You could try checking out a new pump made by Hydor called the Ario Turbo. It's an in-tank pump and aerator. All you hear are bubbles.

I bought a Rena because I'd heard it was quiet and I have to use a washcloth under the Whisper on the other tank (it is probably 15 years old though...) My ancient Whisper is definitely quieter than the Rena--so I can't recommend the Rena.

David14259 said:
Toirtis said:
Zoobekos are dead silent, but near impossible to find in North America.

Apparently so, since a Yahoo and Google search for them turned up 0 results. Sure thats spelled right?

Your google must be broken ;) ...searching "zoobeko" on Google got me this as the first result: http://zoobeko.de/

The "Total Type 200" is the model I have (and have used for about 35 years now).

I just wanted to add, consider what you are running the air through as well. One of my Whisper air pumps was very loud, as compared to the other, when I had it in my 28 gallon tank. I had it running through a bendable air line/bubble wall, but once I removed that and replaced it with a different bubble wall wand, it became very silent. More work, more noise.

Back
Top Bottom