Silicon available in UK shops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nomadu571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys can anyone give me an aquarium safe silicon available in the UK at shops, not online. Want to get it tomorrow, any b&q brands or wicks brands any good??

Most Lfs will sell it but it can be very expensive. A while ago when I had an disastrous crack in my old tank
I used an non aquatic one and it was fine but I don't remember a brand name sorry.

Hi your best bet would be your local fish shop. Usually called aquarium sealant:) usually you can get either a small tube {bit like a tooth paste tube} or a more normal sized tube,but its quite dear I'm afraid:( Do you have a Maidenhead aquatics near you?

Yeah there's on at a local garden centre I was planning on frequenting anyway, would they most likely do it? I don't mind it being a little pricey as I'm making DIY co2 so it would be the only expense really.

Nomadu571 said:
Yeah there's on at a local garden centre I was planning on frequenting anyway, would they most likely do it? I don't mind it being a little pricey as I'm making DIY co2 so it would be the only expense really.

If they stock fish they may sell the silicone. If not I doubt they would... Your best bet is to visit a Lfs they should stock it for sure

I would think that any hardware or home improvement store would have some. Silicone's primary use is as a multi purpose caulk for buildings. The only consideration is that the silicone not have any mildewcide in it. Avoid any product that says "Tub and Tile" or "Kitchen and Bath".

BillD said:
I would think that any hardware or home improvement store would have some. Silicone's primary use is as a multi purpose caulk for buildings. The only consideration is that the silicone not have any mildewcide in it. Avoid any product that says "Tub and Tile" or "Kitchen and Bath".

So, because I am in the process of my 3rd strip/reseal use any silicone that says "aquarium safe when cured" the other brands can say "fish friendly or great seal with no toxic blah blah to fish..." My brother is a chemical engineer and explained that these things are pretty much all identical and in fact one story he told me was that of a "safest for fish" which degraded in less than a year. So, save some money and if you need more don't waste money with the little tubes- it keeps (top tightly screwed on no air, for 9+ months.
Good luck and and chemical questions like these can be answered by a guy that wears a lab coat in a secure location (how cool?) just ask!

Nreal said:
So, because I am in the process of my 3rd strip/reseal use any silicone that says "aquarium safe when cured" the other brands can say "fish friendly or great seal with no toxic blah blah to fish..." My brother is a chemical engineer and explained that these things are pretty much all identical and in fact one story he told me was that of a "safest for fish" which degraded in less than a year. So, save some money and if you need more don't waste money with the little tubes- it keeps (top tightly screwed on no air, for 9+ months.
Good luck and and chemical questions like these can be answered by a guy that wears a lab coat in a secure location (how cool?) just ask!

SILICONE ?'s PLEASE READ on many "safe for aquarium" silicone compounds, there was a warning in tiny letters which reads "not for use on aquariums 30 gallons or more" General rule, buy the supplies for which your project calls for from a store that stocks and specializes in said needs. On the best silicone, it will burn your eyes with the smell of vinegar. It's an acid that depletes as the silicone cures. There is a link on how to re-silicone a tank on here. It calls for masking tape and making tabs to pull the tape so you get a straight line. DO THAT! It is something that you later (whilst swearing of that vinegar reeking) will thank yourself (and me) for taking the time. I lost a 55 on my living room floor. Imagine what it would do to your place. Not to be taken lightly... If you screw it up the first time, razor it all off and do it again, or risk calling your insurance agent for water damage.

Back
Top Bottom