silicon curing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducati2242

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive had a new tank made , its finished today ready for collection tomorrow , The tank manufacturer has said dont fill it with water till the silicon has stopped smelling or it will contaminate the water. This is a new one to me he has suggested 3 to 4 days . Its been made by a professional tank maker so all the components are correct but now that he has said leave it for this long im a bit confused. How long would you leave it for. I was supposed to be picking my new rock up in 2 days but it now looks unlikely.

If it was made by a professional I would head his advice. Usually its 24 hours for silicone to fully cure but that could depend on the brand of silicone. You could get your live rock and store it in tubs untill your tank is ready.

I would go along with r.n.g. and the professional. My guess is that he wants it to be at max strength, so better safe then sorry. Curing has allot to do with thickness, Temp. and brand.

Back
Top Bottom