silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nodoubt471

Aquarium Advice Freak
is it ok to use the kind of silicone they sell at home depot for like bathroom sealing in my tank? i just made my own sump, and i would like to seal around the baffles with it. otherwise i will have to buy the special clear aquarium silicone and thats just darn expensive. tia!

no it isnt. That is called silicone kaulk. If you even look closely to label on Silicone Kaulk, it says not to use in sealing aquariums as it will release toxins into the water. You have to get a special aquarium sealant that is at petco or your lfs.

You want to use 100% pure silicone. Bathroom caulking generally has chemicals in it to prevent mildew/mold growth. Some hardware stores will carry pure silicone at a fraction of the pet store cost.

indy said:
You want to use 100% pure silicone. Bathroom caulking generally has chemicals in it to prevent mildew/mold growth. Some hardware stores will carry pure silicone at a fraction of the pet store cost.

Ditto, you CAN find 100% silicone at store such as HD (just read the labels).

Back
Top Bottom