silly question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunchbox209

Aquarium Advice Freak
what kind of containers do you guys use to hole your RO water and saltwater i am looking for something around 5 gallons:confused:

I bought 4 5g jugs from an lfs when i had the chance. I now use them for water storage backup since I now use 2 32g garbage cans. :)

I bought 4 5g jugs from an lfs when i had the chance. I now use them for water storage backup since I now use 2 32g garbage cans. :)

is there a brand i should look for?
i was thinking of using gasoline containers (of course brand new:D) yay or nay on that idea?

I would prefer to use something food grade quality. You can get them at Lowes or, for $2, firehouse subs sells their pickle buckets with lids and donates the money to recovering firefighters. You can also as your local Walmart bakery. Depending on the manager there, they sometimes give them away. You just need to clean both of these.

since we have three cats I buy the litter that comes in the big plastic jugs with the handles and the extra large mouth, probably @ 4.5 gallons, I just rinse them with hot tap water and I'm good to go

Great question! I hadn't thought about water storage. (I'm in the planning for a reef tank no idea when I'm going to get it stage. Lol!)

Retired_AF said:
I would prefer to use something food grade quality. You can get them at Lowes or, for $2, firehouse subs sells their pickle buckets with lids and donates the money to recovering firefighters. You can also as your local Walmart bakery. Depending on the manager there, they sometimes give them away. You just need to clean both of these.

I work at a bakery and we always order glaze for the fruits and they come in buckets and the buckets come in 5g and 10g would those work as long as I rinse them out really good

I work at a bakery and we always order glaze for the fruits and they come in buckets and the buckets come in 5g and 10g would those work as long as I rinse them out really good

I would say so. Just make VERY sure they are absolutely CLEAN. The food grade plastic just seems a better option as it does not to contain any dyes or recycled materials that could possibly leach out and cause harm to your tank. Food grade plastic has to be certified by the FDA. Wherever you get them, make sure they are new and unused or have only been used to contain food.

I have seen almost clear/white 5 gallon jugs with lines the show the water level they also have a handle anyone know which ones in talking about

Back
Top Bottom