Sizing an air pump (Alita 6a or 15a?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrauenza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Rena 400 is dying and parts are scarce.

It has two outputs -- looks like each output is its own internal pump. The specs were 2 x 200L per hour, 8 watts, 2 x 4-35 PSI. I can't find a graph that specifies that by depth ....

I'm considering buying an Alita Linear Air Pump -- the AL-6A. The AL-15A isn't much more expensive and the decibel rating is almost the same.

Most people seem to use these on multi tank setups -- I have a single setup:

• About 50 gallons, plus an external sump.
  • Freshwater
  • Planted
  • A couple of bubblers in the sump
  • A bubble wall about 4' long in the tank at a depth of about 16-18".

Is the 6A already overkill? I'd rather not be spending the watts every year (which cost more than the difference in price between the two!)

Thoughts?

I use both of those pumps...
The 6A should be fine for your needs. I use it to pump ozone into my skimmer on my 120..
The 15 a runs all my breeder tanks[25 +].
Just get a manifold so you can bleed some air out if needed.
As far as noise goes both of these pumps are the quietest pumps I have ever used that moved air so well.
Both of mine are over 2 + years old.I have repair kit for the 15A and a replacement pump new in box if I EVER need them.

Alita is the only pump I can recommend ...

Thank you! I ended up getting the 6A, which is more than sufficient. I'm having to bleed off some air, but I'm happy. The 15A would have been waaaaay overkill.

To bleed the air I grabbed an old large sponge for washing cars, poked a hole into it lengthwise, shove the air tube in, and then shoved the whole sponge into an old fish food can. Worked pretty well to suppress the hiss!

Back
Top Bottom