Skimmer and Filter Upgrade Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonnyKhan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55g FOWLR system that I may someday upgrade to reef. I'm going to overhaul the filter and skimmer, and I need some advice.

Right now I have a Fluval 205 with a modified spraybar, a Red Sea Prizm, and a Marineland 200 Biowheel. I also have an additional Maxijet 1200 for water circulation, and about 20 pounds of live and 10 pounds of base rock. I have consistently near zero on Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia, and steady pH. Current inhabitants are Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Clarke's Clownfish, Algae Blenny, and four blue leg hermits.

Anyway, I want to upgrade to a Fluval 404 to replace the 204, an AquaC Remora to replace the Prizm, and a Bak Pak 2 biofilter/skimmer combo to replace the Biowheel. I also want another 20-25 pounds of live rock.

Which of these should I make a priority? Are there more appropriate brands or combos? Is the Bak Pak a good idea or should I get rid of the biowheel and save the outlet for something else altogether?

Also, while you're looking, is my tank overcrowded? I'm considering getting an orchid or black cap dottyback but I don't want to strain the bioload.

Thanks for your answers.

Back
Top Bottom