skimmer and ro/di questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check your source water

It's not my RO/DI water either...I have been testing it before I add salt right when it goes into the bucket with my freshwater kit and getting 0 nitrate reading and then again after I put salt in and mix it overnight testing with my saltwater kit and getting 0 reading so it's got to be something else....OMG this is sooooooooo frustrating. And the part that sucks the most is that it is probably something really small and can be fixed in like .2 seconds for $0

It's not my RO/DI water either...I have been testing it before I add salt right when it goes into the bucket with my freshwater kit and getting 0 nitrate reading and then again after I put salt in and mix it overnight testing with my saltwater kit and getting 0 reading so it's got to be something else....OMG this is sooooooooo frustrating. And the part that sucks the most is that it is probably something really small and can be fixed in like .2 seconds for $0

Well nitrate is the end of the cycle so ammonia is coming in somewhere your not stirring your sand are you? Cant stir sand

I was cleaning the sand during pwc...just a tiny section each time but a few weeks ago, I stopped doing that as well after reading mixed reviews on whether or not to clean the sand bed. Found more opinions saying not to do it, that it releases to much junk and to just let the critters do their jobs. We shall see here in a little bit....this is going to be a larger change than normal so it should go down.

I am thinking about getting a few shaving brush plants and some halimeda for the tank itself. Since I don't have a fuge or sump and I absolutely love plants anyway (gardening is my first love), I think I will put some in and see if they help too since they love nitrates. It doesn't look like anything will eat them either... My live rock is void of any macro at all now because I had a copperband butterfly and he devoured everything on them.

Here goes nothin........

I was cleaning the sand during pwc...just a tiny section each time but a few weeks ago, I stopped doing that as well after reading mixed reviews on whether or not to clean the sand bed. Found more opinions saying not to do it, that it releases to much junk and to just let the critters do their jobs. We shall see here in a little bit....this is going to be a larger change than normal so it should go down.

I am thinking about getting a few shaving brush plants and some halimeda for the tank itself. Since I don't have a fuge or sump and I absolutely love plants anyway (gardening is my first love), I think I will put some in and see if they help too since they love nitrates. It doesn't look like anything will eat them either... My live rock is void of any macro at all now because I had a copperband butterfly and he devoured everything on them.

Here goes nothin........

Good luck i hope you get it all worked out

I'm gonna get up off this chair when I am done posting this and kick myself square in the a$$ for not catching this sooner......that'll teach me

Attachments

• image-3588493935.jpg
    image-3588493935.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom