skimmer brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an AquaC injection skimmer. The great thing about these is that they can go in sump or remote. I had mine setup right behind my sump with the output dumping into the first section of the sump. This saves lots of space in the sump.

Instead of the usual venturi air injection the water is pumped to the skimmer and then blasted through a chanber of air before it enters the main reaction chamber of the skimmer. You can control the amount of water going in, air going in, and water going out. The collection cup has a drain for the skimmate so you can collect it in a larger container. I am VERY glad I got this skimmer.

i vote octopus as well. excellent skimmers for the money. btw, the usual venturi air injection is an excellent way to mix air and water.

Yes, venturi is a very effective way of mixing air and water for a skimmer, which is exactly why almost every skimmer on the market today uses that method. But that doesn't mean there will never be any more advances or improvements.

i agree. however, i don't think there has been any advancements or improvements over the venturi as of yet.
you'll have to produce a product that injects more air than it in order for it to be recognized. on the aqua-c website, the only boast is that it can be considered maintenance free.
scfh is the most important factor here, and even though most venturi pumps that are even remotely efficient list the amount of air they pull as a selling point, aqua-c simply states "huge amounts of air".
no offense to you, but i need more data than that before i can promote a product. not to mention i had first hand experience with their "remora" and i found it to be extremely inefficient compared to other skimmers in it's class.

Yes, very different from Remora.

Have you seen one running? If you haven't and get a chance to definitely check it out. I haven't seen anything giving numbers on the amount of air, but I think it at least matches most venturis out there. Blasting water through air definitely brings A LOT of air into the reaction chamber (sorry, no exact numbers on A LOT).

Even if the AquaC at best matches the better venturi skimmers out there the biggest benefit in my opinion is that it doesn't have to sit in the sump. This can save a lot of room in the sump, leaving more room for the fuge, which is obviously very beneficial. This was one of my biggest reasons for choosing it. The other is that when we started one up at the fish shop I was running it was pulling a lot of skimmate within just a couple days.

Don't Aqua C skimmers use Beckett injectors? When something gets sucked into the pump and into the Beckett it pretty much stops working completely. I had one for about a week and got rid of it. The store I worked at briefly had 2 of them and they weren't the greatest. I'll take the old ASM or Octopus over them any day.

Site with pic of air inlet

Good info on them there, pic in link shows air inlet perfectly.

That is the air inlet on mine and all the ones we used at the shop, never had any clog up. All the sumps were setup to minimize anything getting into the pumps though.

on aqua-c's site they say if you use a prefilter sponge, it will be maintenance free. except for cleaning out the sponge regularly, i suppose.
i haven't seen the EV series running, but have heard folks speaking highly of theirs. however, i wonder what they are comparing the efficiency to.
in other words, if that guy that owns an ev series skimmer would try out an octo extreme, would he still be an advocate for aqua-c?

That is definitely always a problem in this hobby. People don't keep trying new products once they find one that works, they stick with it and tell everyone how amazing it is.

I used a Rio pump on mine, with the plastic prefilter to the rio, but no sponge in the whole system, same with the ones at the shop. I never had problems with any of them. I have used and seen a few other skimmers used, including a Bubble King, ASMs, Remoras, Urchins, Seaclone, Coralife Super Skimmer, and a few others. I actually wasn't too impressed with the Bubble King (at least not for the price), but I think that had to do with tweaking it right which I wasn't going to mess with and apparently the other guys couldn't get just right. I actually got pretty good skimmate from the Seaclone, more than you would think based on how bad most people talk about it. The AquaC has a lot of control so it is easy to tweak.

this is true. i was guilty of doing just that with ASM skimmers a few years back. at one time they were the best option for the money, but they chose not to continue staying cognisant of the changing market and quickly fell behind. sorry zig!
they should have changed over to acrylic. they should have implemented more efficient pumps. they should have produced a cone skimmer, and HOB skimmers for that matter. all they did was raise their prices.

I have heard the cone skimmers are better, but I have also heard it is simply less reaction space. If you have used both, what did you find?

oh, i haven't used a cone as of yet. to be honest, i don't see how it could be enough of a difference to warrant getting one. i was speaking from a business standpoint.
actually, now that i think of it, the rep from eshoppes let me borrow a HOB cone skimmer for my coral tank at MACNA in atlantic city.. it reminded me of a coralife SS 65 really.
if i could quote him, when i asked how they performed in comparison to the old design, he simply shrugged his shoulders and said "eh, they make cone skimmers, so we make cone skimmers"..lol.
sorry eshoppes!

That's what I thought. I can't remember who it was but a rep for a different skimmer company said that a cone skimmer is just a regular skimmer with less space for the water and air to interact.

Back
Top Bottom