Skimmer cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my Hydor, I taped a small nylon fitting into the cup for a drain that goes to a 5 gallon water jug. That way I can keep track of skim amounts, but not empty the cup daily. I still clean the head of my skimmer weekly, bubbles build back up within an hour and I get better skim when it's spotless.

On my Hydor, I taped a small nylon fitting into the cup for a drain that goes to a 5 gallon water jug. That way I can keep track of skim amounts, but not empty the cup daily. I still clean the head of my skimmer weekly, bubbles build back up within an hour and I get better skim when it's spotless.

I'll give that a try. Sounds like a good idea. When I shut my skimmer off it starts to bubble back up right away

You have to have a reliable skimmer to do this. Sump based skimmers can just overflow with little damage, where one with a outside drain can cause a drop in salinity if it goes wild.

If you choose to have the skimmer drain into a waste container, I would like to see the waste container positioned so that if it overflows, it will simply run back into the tank. At least put the waste container in a 5 gallon bucket beside the skimmer so at least 5 gallons of tank water will be prevented to hit the floor in such an event.

If you choose to have the skimmer drain into a waste container, I would like to see the waste container positioned so that if it overflows, it will simply run back into the tank. At least put the waste container in a 5 gallon bucket beside the skimmer so at least 5 gallons of tank water will be prevented to hit the floor in such an event.

I took it a step further. I put a cutoff for the skimmer pump in the 5 gallon waste bucket. It gets too full it cuts the skimmer pump. In the past year I have had this Hydor, it hasn't glitched once.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom