skimmer for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
well for some reason my prizm skimmer is crapping out, after running good for going on 5 months now all of a sudden it doesnt skim nearly as good as it used to, im constantly having to adjust the air flow,sometimes for no reason after ive adjusted it perfectly overnight it will start over skimming and overflowing the waste compartment back into the aquarium ive come to the assumption this skimmer is a hunk of junk :evil: so does anyone have any suggestions on a skimmer for a 55g for under 100 bucks hopefully

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. That would make me pretty mad too. Well for under $100 I would probably go with the Coralife 65 or 125 . If you could come up with about $70 more i would HIGHLY recommend the Aqua C Remora. I have it and its an awsome skimmer. Its really quiet and works great! Also you might want to check out one of the other posts on this page that TheRealFF wrote about the skimmer he wanted. He is in the same boat as you as far as wanting one under $100. Lots of good info on that post. HTH

Mine was a little over 100. I think 125 but it was the excalibur. I bought it at my LFS. Pretty darn good skimmer.

ASm has the Mini-G, rated for 75 gallons, and there are some on Ebay for slightly above $100. You might want to look into it.

just FYI, those Prizm skimmers aren't that great to begin with. Don't be surprised you get significantly more skimmate in the cup with just about any other skimmer (save for skilters and possibly older seaclones).

If the tank isn't over stocked or stocked with messy carnivores, even a CPR bakpak with the maxijet pump would be a sufficient improvment over the prizm.
you can get a factory second CPR for around $100 from www.amekaaquatics.com - it may have a scratch or bubble in the acrylic box, but still functions fine. but because it wasn't pretty enough, they won't sell them at normal price. its not a mechanical defect, just a cosmetic blemish.
since its a skimmer on the back of the tank...who cares?

I have a Excalibur too. Only had a little troulbe, but it runs perfectly fine now. It's Great! Gets a lot of junk.

i have the remora and it works great. more expensive, but worth the $. i got mine for $164 on ebay and didnt have to pay shipping.....

I also just got a Remora Pro from somebody on eBay and got the shipping for free. Figuring shipping from a regular mail order place would run probably $20 or more, you would only be looking at an extra $40 over your limit of $100 for the regular Remora. Probably a good place to spend the extra money IMO. I was also replacing a Prizm which has been a PITA the whole time I've had it.

What makes the Aqua C Remora better than the coralife? I am looking into buying a skimmer for a 125 gallon tank. thanks

the RemoraC is essentially "plug and play". no adjustments but how dry you want the skimmate. an awsome skimmer! EBAY is the way to go. :D

Back
Top Bottom