Skimmer for 90Gal tank - Best (Not Most Expensive)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

I have a Coralife 65g skimmer right now running in my 90g tank. With my sump I am probably running 100g of water.

The Coralife skimmer works okay, but constantly get's clogged then doesn't work, so unless I take it out every few days and clean it out, it's not working.

I am looking for a better skimmer that maybe doesn't clog up like that and that is rated for a atleast 100g, possibly 125g or 150g.

I don't really have the money to spend $300+ on a new skimmer but I want a good one. The other issue is that I have a height requirement of no more then 21" tall. The foot print isn't a huge issue as I have room in the sump.

I was looking at the Hydor Performer Skimmer 405, but it's about $300 which is a bit too expensive for me. I will consier it if it's one of the best options but I'd prefer to find something cheaper.

I was also looking at the Eshopps In-Sump Protein Skimmers PSK-150 @ $169.99, but it's 22" tall and would be extremely tight, which means I probably wouldn't be able to get the cup off.

What suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks,

-TheChad

I ended up ordering a SWC 160 for $269 shipped. Got good reviews everywhere I read.

Hopefully will be good.

-TheChad

Well, reporting back the SWC 160 is one heck of a skimming machine.

My Coralife skimmer NEVER on it's best day produced the bubbles or skimmate that this thing does.

I am very happy with it. Worth it's weight in silver.

Anyone know what type of drill bit I should use to drill a hole in the acrylic sump? I need to get my float valve installed to keep the water level consistant for this skimmer. Either that or get rid of my fuge that I don't really do anything with (Just have sand/mud bed and a few rocks in it), and use the fuge for the skimmer since the water level is always consistant.

-Thechad

Back
Top Bottom